Slightly OT - Who's being unreasonable? (Ebay metal content)

DeepDiver wrote:
Snip...

I know that one trip to the post office is enough to spoil my day (:
For me, a trip to the local post office is often the highlight of my day. (It gives me an excuse to get out of the house.)
Also, like an ordinary check, a post office money order can be deposited to any of your local ATMs.
Harry C.
p.s. Beware of sellers seeking excessive shipping fees on anything that you buy on eBay. Check the fine print on their eBay posting, and figure that amount into your bid for their goods.
Harry C.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm not gonna say anything (:

That's really the issue. Don't bid until you know the terms. If you do bid, you're signing a blank contract.

or cashed at the post office, even better.

Ignoramus633 wrote:
wrote:

my
Why is cashing at the Post Office better?
On 17 May 2005 08:36:50 -0700, the renowned "Finnbear"

Less chance of having the amount subtracted from your bank account if it turns out to be fake or whatever. I suppose the lack of a paper trail might also please those who are not declaring their income.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Now, who would do such a thing? ;-) Wouldn't you want to pay taxes on income you got from selling something you bought with after tax dollars that you already paid the taxes on?
Steve
PS: Don't forget the sales tax.
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

of
reward"
http://www.trexon.com
http://www.speff.com

I am a Power Seller on Ebay. We print our own labels. The postman picks up the packages at the house. We only have to go to the postoffice if it is an international shipment, and we have to fill out customs forms. We can even buy insurance on our computer.
The story about not wanting to go to the post office won't fly.
STeve
On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:37:14 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"

They're both being unreasonable. What if the guy no longer drives/has a car?

What's your store/vendor name, Steve? My local post offices aren't too bad, but both are just over 4 miles away. I get into town twice a week so it's not too far out of the way twice a week.

I, too, sell from my home. The USPS delivers Priority boxes and I use Stamps.com for postage/tracking. Portions of that $16/mo fee are added to shipment costs along with handling/packing fees (they pay $5 for a $3.85 stamp + handling) My glare guards are well under the 2 pound limit on mailbox shipping so I have gotten away with a customs form on a box going out of my mailbox. When I have to go to the USPO for an int'l mailing, I charge an extra fee to (partially) cover my time.

It should. It's inconvenient, and small branches can be even worse with lines out the door all day.
Caveat Emptor: If the vendor gives the package to his buddy, the buddy can charge him an extra $30 to go to the USPS and you'll have to pay it plus the USPS fees. That's his actual shipping charge as you agreed to in the auction. ALWAYS email to ask for actual fees for delivery to your zip code or you can get hammered. I got nailed $7.95 for a 2 ounce envelope once and learned my lesson on that one.
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

Then, print up the label at home, put it on the package, and have the postman pick up the package at the seller's home. Shut-ins can do business from home in today's market. Did the seller have a business address, or was he working from home? Either way, a postman probably goes to one of those places.

priorityonesales
My local post offices aren't

Why don't you just print your lables at home, and chuck the stamps?

That story would only be viable if one lived at a residence where there was no postal delivery. I guess such places exist, and some people only have post office boxes for different reasons. But mostly, if there is a postman in the area, they will take your packages, even if you have a post office box address. I have flagged down more than one postman and given him my outgoing packages in areas other than where I live back before they just picked them up.

Yup. You live and learn.
Steve
I sell a few things on eBay and I rarely use the Post Office. I can ship packages UPS or FedEx from my work without leaving so they get my vote simply out of convenience. To go to the Post Office I would have to make leave work and drive about 4 miles and the boss frowns on that. I normally arrive at work before they open and leave after they close. The only time I actually get to the Post Office is on the rare Saturday that I am not working and then it would be the one about a mile and a half from my home. I actually did use a Priority Mail Flat Rate box this past Saturday to ship some parts that payment arrived for in Friday's mail. I was shipping to CA from OH so they should arrive today which is faster than UPS Ground and a few bucks less ($7.70+$.45 Del.Conf). Normally I would have sent this on Monday from work and it would have arrived in CA a week later but I was off Saturday to go to a wedding and I stopped at the PO on the way to the barber shop. If an eBay buyer insisted on my shipping USPS then they would have to be able to wait until I actually had time to go to the Post office which might be a while. I don't think this seller was being unreasonable if he specified he would be shipping UPS in the eBay listing. As a buyer you have no way of knowing what the seller's circumstances are and should know that when you place your bid you are accepting the conditions laid out in the eBay listing. If you wish for the seller to deviate from the listing terms then you should arrange that BEFORE you place a bid. Mark
SteveB wrote:

picks up

it is an

can even

Mark, the seller never specified the method of shipping in the auctions I bid on. He did specify US Priority Mail as the shipping method for some of his other auctions, so it's reasonable to assume he is willing to -- and quite capable of -- shipping by Priority mail.
Btw, it is now possible to ship by USPS without making a trip to the Post Office. Free Priority Mail boxes and other supplies can be ordered from the USPS web site (and delivered to your doorstep for free within a day or two). And you can schedule a free parcel pick-up by your mail carrier (also from their web site). You can even pay for postage online. I had pointed all this out to the seller, and I even told him I would send him pre-paid postage to stick on the parcel so he wouldn't have to set up an online account.
The USPS has become quite competitive with other shipping services.
- Michael

Not only that but they're also selling their services to at least one of the other services. I ordered some shirts a while back and they were to be shipped via UPS because that was the only option they offered. They emailed a UPS tracking number to me and it continuously showed that they had been notified electronically that the package was being sent. After about a week there was still no change in the status. One afternoon my wife noticed the mail carrier walking back up the driveway to his truck. She looked on the front porch and there was my package with a UPS shipping label on it but it was delivered by the US Post Office!
I emailed the company I bought the shirts from and they said that's the way UPS is doing it now on some shipments. The tracking was useless. I wonder about the insurance.... :-/
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:34:22 GMT, the inscrutable "Keith Marshall"

I ship via USPS Priority most often and find that their "tracking" page is similarly useless. It tells you that the package was delivered the day after it gets there, and nothing shows up except they list the electronic notification. There is no hard data during transit or clear proof that the package physically shipped. Luckily, I've never lost a PM package and close deliveries are overnight.
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

page is similarly useless. It tells you that the package was delivered the day after it gets there, and nothing shows up except they list the electronic notification. There is no hard data during transit or clear proof that the package physically shipped. Luckily, I've never lost a PM package and close deliveries are overnight.<<
I use USPS Priority most of the time too and I agree that it's mostly useless except that when all is over with it will normally show at least that the package was delivered. That's a big plus when a buyer tries to tell you they never received it. I've only had it happen once or twice but it does come in handy. :-)
The UPS package that was delivered via USPS never showed as having been received, shipped or otherwise.
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
spake:

same here. Half of the time they are making my visits difficult by inventing BS rules.
Dollar by dollar, I sell much more on ebay than I buy, which may bias my viewpoint. In my opinion, both the buyer as well as the seller are unreasonable. The buyer is unreasonable because he wants more from the seller than was promised by the auction. The seller is unreasonable because he does not want to take reasonable steps to make sure that the buyer gets a sensible deal on shipping.
Personally, most of the items that I sell I sell at a stated, fixed shipping amount that is designed to make me a modest profit of a few dollars. The amount is stated in the auction and the buyers adjust their bids accordingly.
The only time when I sell at actual shipping is for very heavy items. In this instance, I try not to cheat my buyers. I overstate my estimates by 2-3 dollars just to account for the possibility of mismeasuring the shipping boxes.
Generally speaking, fraudsters do not have a 1000+, 99+% feedback.
i 318, 100% feedback

Really? How so?
I didn't ask him for any free product. I didn't ask him to eat any shipping expenses. I didn't ask him to jump through any hoops.
The seller currently has auctions where the listed shipping method is US Priority Mail. For the auctions I purchased, he did not stipulate a shipping method, only that I would inccur actual shipping charges.
Is it really unreasonable that I ask him to ship by a more economical method -- one that he already uses?
And BTW, I told him from the very first request that I wanted to save money on the shipping so that I could purchase two more of his auctions. I figured the additional sales would benefit him as well as me. Why throw money away on shipping? Is that unreasonable of me?
Now, this whole transaction has soured me to the point where I wish I never bid on his auctions. Not only has he lost two additional sales now, but he's lost my future business as well (and probably the business of my metalworking friends).
- Michael
snip-----

never
he's
Considering the very negative experience Susan had with a less than honest seller on ebay, you have my total sympathy. Do us all a favor and name the person with which you've done business so those of us that wish to avoid doing business with him, will be able to do so. That's assuming we are still buying off ebay. Frankly, we rarely do anymore, and it's the honest seller that's taking the loss. Ebay is not putting enough effort into discouraging the crooks. They're far more interested in their bottom line, from all indications. If you prefer to not make his name known publicly, I'd appreciate hearing from you on the side.
Best of luck,
Harold