Socket on a stick

Swagelock has had such a wrench for ... at least a couple of decades. It's not clear how well it would work for heavy torque, but it's a nice item for brass compression fittings. I can't find it in their current catalogue, though. The principle is to use springloaded teeth so they bear the force in CW rotation, retract into a well in CCW rotation. Flip the wrench over to unscrew the joint. I recall cylindrical teeth, axis parallel to the pipeline, sliding on their circular end surfaces.

Reply to
whit3rd

Awright, this wouldn't let go - I made one, too:

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:16:56 -0500, the infamous "Steve W." scrawled the following:

Hah! Jeff Dunham's great, isn't he? Wow, _five_ voices bam/bam/bam/bam/bam. Tough act!

-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've got two or three of them.

Don't have one of those. (Maybe I do and didn't know what it was called.)

Yeah, its called a bone wrench. I have a whole set of them.

ad nauseum)

Well, of course. Harley makes a custom deep socket for EVO clutch nuts too. I cut a socket in half and welded a piece of pipe in the middle for mine.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yep - mine is a red handle 1/2" in diameter to a flip/flop head that is a C type with teeth within. A thin cross bar is through the end for leverage. I've had mine for years - used it twice so far. Have flaring tools and pipe wrenches. I try to fix most anything around the place myself. I'll get and expert when needed - e.g. sink disposer that needed power that wasn't there.

I've replaced furnaces and all sorts about houses and shops. I slowly build skills through the years.

I have a metal and wood lathe, metal and wood bandsaw, mill, drill press welders and plasma... two surface grinders and home made 3-phase.

I had an electric hand drill (drill motor in those days) at the age of 5.

Mart> "Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:hl83g8$3kb$1

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Also for the Stainless Steel compression fittings by Swagelock, which suggests a higher torque than you are apparently expecting.

But I have one picked up at a tool flea market. A pity that it only covers two sizes.

That is correct -- with levers guiding their path so they don't get lost.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Neatly done, Jon! I wouldn't call those turkeysh*t welds at all, but you may have higher standards than I. They look OK to me. Not as pretty as TIG might do but who can see them under the sink anyway?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Sometimes a tool like this will fit where a crow's foot won't. I've made and used tools like this. One such was for the top of the rear struts of VW Rabbits.

As you frequently come to this group with questions for free help to aid your quests for profit on EBay, perhaps you snarkiness might be better practiced elsewhere?

Reply to
Don Foreman

One HELL of a great IDEA, thanks

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever under estimate the incompetent.

Reply to
KG

The O2 sensor wrench is basically a socket with a slot up the side for the wires . And I made my SPROCKET nut wrench for the Harley too , same way you did - and it also fits Shovelhead and TC sprocket/pulley nuts . And I really wish I had a set of tubing fitting wrenchs ...

Reply to
Snag

Thanks Don, I appreciate it. I do admit my welding has gotten a lot better in the year or two that I've had the buzzbox in the carport. It's nice to be able to actually weld stuff when you need to; opens up a lot of opportunities beyond using fasteners.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Ooh, thanks for the idea Steve! I might just have to consider this!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

A- HA! I knew there had to be a "proper" tool to solve this problem, but I came up with my solution before I had a chance to post the question over at terrylove's forum.

Besides, I'm a sucker for any excuse to do some welding.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Aye, it had to attach the lines up in a four inch deep recess underneath a wall hanging sink:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Hey thanks Leo, I appreciate that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I wasn't aware of such a tool at the time I made mine, which led to me making it myself. It was pretty tight up in there, but if all I had was a basin wrench I imagine I'd have found a way to get it to work.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"Jon Danniken" I wasn't aware of such a tool at the time I made mine, which led to me

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sometimes doing things the way you know beats doing the research and finding a "better" way.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:12:25 -0800, the infamous "Jon Danniken" scrawled the following:

If that's so, why does it still look like turkey droppings (your term), Jon?

You should be outwelding -Ernie- at this point.

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think we do that because we can! I've made DIN plug shell to fix my son's music machine...

Would have gone to a repair guy or part from Germany - wasn't a US standard DIN, it was a little fancy.

Someone had stepped on the original one.

Mart> Bob La L>> Nice, I've got a few custom by chop saw and welder sockets myself. So a

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

[snip]
[snip]

I haven't seen any such posts [info requests to aid and abet ebay selling] by Tim Wescott -- perhaps you are thinking of someone else?

Reply to
James Waldby