_Sources_ for carnide chain in the US?

On 22 Jun 2004 22:33:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I had a fax AND email from them

Their web site host has been under fire from hackers, they are saying, and has been down a lot lately.

They have reported the Australian disconneection to their ISP.

So we shall see..

Funny I just sent them an email via my ISP's online email site, and it has not bounced.

This _could_ be why my ISP's online stuff may be getting through. It probably has a completely different address.

These guys are "backboned" by another company, with whom I have had many discussions (you were involved in that thread too, IIRC) about spam and hits on my firewall, so far without much success.

I reckon the "culprit" here is that every time I log on I get a different IP..no? Therefore I can "inherit" some other scumbag's dirty laundry.

Fax has worked, as I said. Phone would soon run up any savings in chain, and there is the time difference.

Hehe! I hope only good ears are reading this stuff!

Anyway. I live and learn. Thanks for all your interest.

Reply to
Old Nick

Great!

That could explain a lot.

O.K. I hope that cleans up.

Perhaps a different IP block. Also, did you get an actual bounce from the previous? If not, was it just a disappearing into the bit bucket of your e-mail (e.g. no indication of *anything* happening?

[ ... ]

Agreed.

Yep.

And it is not just the scumbags, but also those made victim by a virus infection. The infection installs a backdoor, which a scumbag somewhere else use to turn that victim's machine into a spam engine, until the victim runs a virus scan because the machine seems so slow whenever it is connected to the net.

[ ... ]

Yes -- it all depends on how desperate you are to get the information.

The bad ones already *know* about free hotmail accounts. And I think that hotmail does a good job of blocking sending of e-mails direct from/to port 25 on client machines, so the spam software is forced to go through hotmail's own mail servers, which can (and probably do, by now) filter for virii and spam.

Apparently, at least one of the large ISPs in the US has

*finally* started blocking port-25 traffic from DSL accounts. It has to now go to their mail server via PPP (which is purely a client-to-mail-server protocol, and can't be used to bypass the ISP's mail server and push spam (or virii) out without any controls.

Only business accounts have direct port 25 access, now, on those ISPs, and those who use that for spam can be detected and shut down.

Best of luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols