SteevB's Prediction -- summary of bets

As of now, we have the following contestants, pledging $5 to the person whose guess is closest to Dow as of closing on Jul 1,

2009. Money is to be split in the unlikely case of more than one contestant being equally distant to the value of Dow on Jul 1.

The entries are (gleaned from the thread)

SteveB: 5,000 Ignoramus: 8,000 Jon Elson: 5,500 Steamer: (no valid entry) Wes: 9,000 ben91932: 10,300

If someone has any objections, please speak up.

Reply to
Ignoramus20251

I had an entry at 5,500. Not sure if Jon Elson also came up with that number, or was just responding to my post, where you might have thought it was his entry?

Jon Elson, do you have an official entry at 5500?

Jon A.

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Perhaps I made a mistake, would be good to clarify.

I will have a second look.

I think that you are right and I was mistaken, so I changed the record.

Ignoramus20251

No objection. Sign me up for 5,750

--Winston from Silicon Valley

Reply to
Winston

I won't be playing, so it won't affect me, but this would constitute illegal gambling (and very publicly so) in many locales. Doing it in the newsgroup is rather more public than doing it in the office or at the bar (both of which are also illegal, but more difficult to enforce, in most of the same locales - though some have extra laws just for internet gambling).

Finally, it has f*ck all to do with metalworking.

Take it to rec.investing.voodoo or rec.gambling.dowjones

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Why gambling, we are trading a "Dow Jones Mutual Price Swap" derivative.

Ignoramus20251

New list

SteveB: 5,000 Ignoramus: 8,000 Jon Anderson: 5,500 steamer: (no valid entry) Wes: 9,000 ben91932: 10,300 Winston AT bigbrother.net: 5,750

Reply to
Ignoramus20251

Cool, thanks. And for the record, I -really- hope I'm wrong...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I got a better idea. Why don't you drag it over there along with the rest of your stuff? The job of Net Nanny is taken, but if it comes up, we'll be sure to contact you. Please learn to use the ignore button on your computer and how to kill file something if you're not interested. We talk about whatever we want to. You got a problem with that? What's next, a fairness doctrine for newsgroups? Are you going to snitch us out?

Sheesh.

Pussy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I rarely read you or Iggy anymore because you both spend too much time yakking about off-topic stuff. But I did read this thread, as well as your post the other day about wanting an old Aeromotor. It happens that a friend has one that's about 4 hours from LV, and you could have had it for nothing... if only I wasn't tired of your attitude. So if you thought that your "I'll post whatever I want" crap couldn't have a downside, you were mistaken.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Iggy, are you holding the cash for us? Paypal OK?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

And I have a secret, but I'm not going to tell you.

In case you haven't noticed, Iggy and I have conversed a lot about metal stuff. People do that. It must be very boring and quiet where you work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I would prefer not to, I would think that it is better to have the losers sending money to the winner as part of settlement.

Reply to
Ignoramus20251

That was my original intent, and let each man honor his own debt. Or not. Of course, we'll probably get reported to the post office by anti-gambling nutcases .........

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

(...)

Okayfine!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Wayne...carrying over Usenet to real life is a non starter.

There are plenty of people here on Usenet I slug fest with, yet interact with in real life.

Do as you choose..but with one single exception..even the most vilrulent far left fringe kook nutter, Id be happy to meet in real life to discuss/do metalworking with, or to help out. And have done so many times.

Shrug

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What you talking about, if I have to pay up, i'm sure the check will have metalworking on the memo line.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I musta missed this thread. Sign me up for 7450.

Reply to
Steve Walker

added

Reply to
Ignoramus9692

Thanks, Iggy, for keeping track of all this. Now, did I say July 1, or July

4? IIRC, it was July 1. I could be wrong, so let's make sure of that ahead of time.

As anyone in this newsgroup who I have done monetary business with knows, I am a man of my word, and have paid several people in advance of shipment. Hope everyone else can be relied upon to do the same regarding this little wager.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB