Take a _______ And Go ________ Some ________!

Nope. McMaster claims its 6061 T-bar. It looks just like all the bar stock in the shop leaning up against the wall. I guess I just got lucky last time.

Bob La Londe

------------------

I recently turned a part from 1" 6061 rod that chattered for the first tenth or so on the outside, then cut nicely as usual further in. I honed the bit and was taking 0.025" cuts to minimize the chatter until it suddenly smoothed out, on both ends. It's a cutoff from an auction so I don't know the source. Perhaps there could be an extruding or heat treating issue, but one shouldn't affect welding.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think all aluminum forms an aluminum oxide skin that is substantially hard (and melts at a higher temperature) than the base metal. Usually I see no issue with machining. I flatten a lot of stock with a 0.100 cut on the mill, but on the lathe I hog as heavy as I can until I get close to diameter.

I did chip my cup and tried a slightly smaller cup. Maybe I just wasn't getting good gas coverage. I was indoors with the doors closed so shielding gas wasn't blowing away.

Maybe I'll run over to Linde (formerly Praxair) on Monday and try a larger cup. I'd really like to try a clear cup so I can better see the arc cone, but I doubt they have one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Corrections:

harder

(and melts at a higher temperature) than the base metal.  Usually I

0.010

cut

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Corrections:

harder

0.010

cut

------------------ I take a skim cut on unknown stock to mark length for roughing, remove scale and oxide and check centering, roundness, hardness and the bit's condition, and set the infeed dial to the measured diameter. This was more like deep case hardening or the skin on cast iron. My other 6061 stock cuts uniformly all the way in.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Have you tried a "gas lens" (I think that's what they call it) for aluminum ? Heped me when i was figuring it out . Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com . Jody is full of good advice and sells a selection of TIG and other welding tooling . I love my TIG finger ...

Reply to
Snag

Have you tried a "gas lens" (I think that's what they call it) for aluminum ? Heped me when i was figuring it out . Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com . Jody is full of good advice and sells a selection of TIG and other welding tooling . I love my TIG finger ... Snag

------------------- Re: Tig aluminum A gas lens helped me, but not enough to stop melt-through. I think I gained something by piling up a stalagmite so I could more easily see to control the puddle.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins