W D 40

Finding the keyboard operational Gunner entered:

Gunner, what do you reccomend as an alternative to WD40? I am mostly interesed in being able to lubricate small motors and bearings. Light machine oil, WD40 and 3 in 1 get too runny. Any thing else is either too thick or not available in small amounts. The small WD40 containers last me for years. Thanks Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

I'm not Gummer, although I can recommend a couple of lubricants that have replaced many types that I've used in the past.

Pennzoil Pennzbell TO-32, claimed to have been developed for turbine use. I found some in the handy Zoom Spout bottles. This is great for general purpose oil, and has proven to work very well for sleeve bearings in fractional HP motors, ball bearings and many other powered components.

Caig Labs DeoxIT liquid. Superior to anything else I know of for a fine lubricant, with great migration and re-wetting properties for tiny motor bearings such as CD or camera motors. Dozens of other uses in addition to it's excellent deoxidizing properties. Caig's line of electrical contact cleaners/conditioners are most likely the best products that you'll ever find. Also avilable in paste/grease-type products. There are lots of so-called electrical contact products which are no more than silicone grease in a solvent, which have proven to be useless for deoxidizing contacts.

I've found that the best way to dispense the liquid DeoxIt products is by using a small plastic bottle with a stainless steel needle tip. This is much more effective than flooding with the areosol spray for most purposes (particularly in electronics servicing).

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

I use it for 2 purposes. It's used as a cutting fluid for aluminum, and works VERY well. I also use it as a cleaner for mold bases. It can get pretty nasty between mold base plates. I spray them with WD, and hit 'em with a stone to help it work it's way in. Then, I wipe off the excess.

I agree that it's not a very good lubricant, but it does have it's place.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Yea, I think it is. The problem is that the drying fluid attracts dust and dirt. It sticks and becomes a lapping compound. It's a fine lubricant, for a short while, after that, it's just a mess.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Break Free, TriFlow if you can find it and so forth. There are now countless really good synthetics out there. PB Blaster is another good one if you want a spray can product. Its not just a penetrating fluid.

Tetra brand lubricants and Slip2000 along with Break Free and Triflow are heavily used in firearms, which is an enviroment tougher than most.

Oddly enough, KMart used to carry a spray lubricant called SuperLube..in a silvery gray can that has given me good service. It was a Teflon carrier, had good persistance, didnt carry fingerprints, seemed to displace water nicely and was cheap. Since I made up a couple gallons of Eds Red, Ive only had to buy Break Free for keeping in the tool box.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

So early an insult?

Fascinating.

You really want to play on a WD40 thread?

Tsk tsk tsk.

Ill refrain from handing you your ass. Again.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

I find kerosene is cheaper for aluminum cutting. Particularly after Christmas time when you can get those quart jugs of fancy colored (and scented) lamp oils for a buck a quart.

Cutting aluminum and smelling Potpourri is kinda unique

But yes..it does have its uses.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:12:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Ditto Kroil.

My dirtbiking friends always used TriFlow and swore by it. It's good.

SuperLube is available at Wally, or was a couple years ago when I bought my last can.

What containers do you use for your Ed's Red? I think it's time I made up a batch, then put it in my refillable aluminum spray can from HF and a few oil cans.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

An early insult? I was here when you showed up with all your misguided political babble.

It shouldn't be fascinating, since I've used Gummer before, and nearly everyone has already identified you as a mere GWB cheerleader, and little else, although you have some redeeming value related to machinery and metalworking.

The part that might astound you is that I couldn't possibly give a shit less what you might think WRT me.

Hand me my ass? Holy criste, an empty/hollow(pointed) usenet threat, I'd better hide now. Your only course of action at this point is to show everyone else what a twit you can be, so fire away.

Ready on the firing range, or FOAD

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:43:12 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff Wisnia quickly quoth:

The extremely lightweight base oil is broken down by all the solvents, Jeff. Whatever's left all runs off and leaves hardly any lubricative properties at all. I'm not sure what chains oils form, though.

Ditto thinning latex paint too much. It breaks down the molecular bonds and the evaporated remains are not what they once were.

I once told a shadetree mechanic not to dip his bearings in STP for the same reason. It isn't a lubricant, either. He said he'd always done it that way and I asked how many engines he had come back seized. He said "none", of course. (Yeah, right.)

That was when I was attending UTI in Phoenix. The punk kid (moi) was unable to teach the old mechanic any new tricks, but sure enough, the guy who bought the car got a couple states away and it spun a bearing. I quit that used car dealership and have never worked in another one. No wonder they got bad reps, with people like him around...

========================================================== CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, he posted several suggestions for the guy; I notice you didn't contibute a thing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Man I wish I could get the ORIGINAL TriFlow.. (we're talking 80's when it first came out) that shit was awesome... late model stuff is OK but not what it was..

For stuck shit Kroil works wonders, but it's not a general lube...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

ROFLMFAO...

Ya know when I was in the service the Motor Pool guys called WD-40 "Kerosene In A Can" , my room mate called it " Weasel piss"... LOL...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Old cider jugs. Glass.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Ready..aim...

Bye Billy.

Gunner, scoring a possible. "Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

I suppose that because you didn't read my recommendations, that means that I didn't offer any.

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

It's so hard to care when people like you open with insults, _AND_ top-post.

Reply to
Dave Hinz