Way OT: format CDRWs

I use CD-RWs a lot. Backups, copy files, store data. Everything a floppy does only 500 times bigger.

My last three or four computer boxes have allowed me to right click on the CD drive with a new CD-RW in it and then select the "Format" option. After formatting, I could read, write, edit, erase, etc. data just like a floppy.

My new box with Win XP Pro installed does not have the "format" option on a right click. When I copy files to the CD it puts them in a pending pile. I then have to actually write them as a second operation. Later, it won't let me delete the files or edit them (read only).

What a PITA! How can I add this option back?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

tomcas

Get a copy od Nero Burning software with InCD from Ahead software. Usually comes with the burner. Direct CD from Roxio is good too.

Reply to
clare

You might want to be a little careful using CDRW disks for backups or long-term data storage.

It's been my experience that data recorded to a CDRW has a much shorter lifespan than that recorded to a good CDR disk.

The CDRW has a different chemistry ot CDRW and the patterns written to a CDRW disk are not as permanent it would seem.

CDRW is okay for transporting data between machines or temporary storage but I'd steer clear of it for backups.

-- you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

IT is a PITA - I have both professional and 'home' versions running here in the network.

One must be running the admin account to format. Hum - single user system like mine - no accounts... No format... ? sucks.

Wonder if I can format a floppy ?

here is the help file : from home personal version of XP - ================================= To format a basic volume Open Computer Management (Local). Right-click the partition, logical drive, or basic volume you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format. Select the options you want, and then click OK. Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management. Where?

Computer Management (Local) Storage Disk Management

You must be logged on as a computer administrator in order to complete this procedure. You cannot format the system or boot partition. Compression is supported only on NTFS volumes. Quick format removes files from the disk but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Use this option only if this disk has been previously formatted and you are sure the disk is not damaged.

==========================

Guess I have to wonder about the admin now - and log in every day . I do that on professional version - but there isn't an admin account - one almost setup - but I didn't do that.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I agree. And CDR is turning out to be a disappointment also with many manufactures of CDs having the media go bad after only a couple years.

This topic was discussed at some length on misc.survivalism and should be archived on google.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

"Format" is greyed out when I go here. So I guess I need to set up an "admin" account.How? Anyway to just autmatically start everyday in admin with no password?

I see from other posts I could just install more software, but this should be part of the OS

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

i cannot give you step by step, but the simple XPpro install will have just one user (me?) with admin priviledges and no password.

you s/b able to return to that by modifiying or deleting users. this "default" will not require password login (except from a remote console), and should let you do anything you want. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe