R.H.

From Rec.woodworking:

#430: Handle from a plane? #431: An exit sign #432: Dunno #433: Dunno #434: For spinning jars? To seperate liquids? #435: Dunno, for cutting fabric?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith
430 plane handle 431 exit sign

433 ideal reloading tool - combination bullet mould and single cartridge reloading tool. I'm guessing it's for the .38-40, since "38-40" is stamped on the side. (:

-j

Reply to
Joe User
435. All purpose tool. Glass cutter, knife sharpener,and some kind of razor blade for cutting string I think. Bruce
Reply to
bikerb422
435 saddlers tool for marking and cutting leather

Reply to
Baz
434 yep, hand-crank centrifuge
Reply to
Andy

#430: Handplane tote

#432: Part of an old balance scale

Mark & Juanita
428 a thermometer
Reply to
foggytown

431 12 o'clock ? 433 bullet mold 434 cream separator ?
Reply to
Tm

Again posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

430) Handle for a two-handed push tool -- probably one of the longer wood planes.

431) Well -- it appears to be a Roman numeral 12 (or perhaps 13, depending on cropping), but it does not look familiar to me, especially with that color pattern.

432) Is it part of some kind of bait-holder for a large trap? The "23 oz" could be the weight of whatever bait it is supposed to hold?

433) This looks like a reloading tool for some early cartridge. The end is the bullet mould, with the pivoted plate serving the function of cutting off the "sprue" (the excess lead in the part which funnels lead to the actual bullet area).

The downward projecting part is for making the mouth of the cartridge round, and expanding the end slightly to make starting the bullet into the cartridge somewhat easier. (And the inside of that same area serves the function of crimping the mouth onto the bullet, with the hook visible near the hinge serving the function of extracting the completed bullet. That area could probably also serve to re-size the cartridge, which expands on firing.

The long pin is to remove the expended primer, and the shorter one is probably for pressing in the replacement primer. (I expect a through hole in the handle below that, as would become visible with a different view.

The only function which I can't see performed by this is the accurate measuring of the powder. (Unless the other side of the bearing at the joint is hollow to serve as a powder measure.

At a guess, this might be reasonable for a l45 long colt, or perhaps for something like a .38 S&W

434) This is obviously a hand-cranked centrifuge. It clamps to the edge of a workbench, and four (or two) test tubes are placed in the four rings (or two opposite rings). Turning the crank spins them rapidly, and the test tubes will tilt bottom outwards to let the centrifugal action hasten the precipitation of solids tot he bottom of the test tubes.

435) This appears to be a general purpose sharpener. The narrow V slots nearest the handle is for knife blades. The almost square-bottomed notch near the upper tip is for scissors blades, and the more obtuse V at the end might be for knives with a more blunt edge.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Exit sign?

Reply to
Doug Payne

For test or lab specimen tubes.

Reply to
carl mciver

Great. I finally get "First Guess" and I haven't got a clue. )-;

Well, a couple of guesses: :-)

436 executive desk decoration 437 end grain of something - 438 is obviously some kind of tomahawk. 439 is a passive infrared motion sensor that plugs into a wall socket, and senses when someone comes into the room, and sends a signal to your X-10 home control system to turn on the room lights, just like those automatic yard lights. 440 - no idea 441 - no idea

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise