What is it? Set 392

I think it may be a tool for use when making preserved fruit or some thing , the notches in the handle may be a cork squeezer to compress a cork for inserting into a bottle neck . The tongs for handling a hot bottle . Just a guess.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

2263) To keep either water or foodstuffs warm.

2264) Throwing (toma)hawks?

2265) This looks to me like the worm part of a steering worm and sector gear.

2266) Perhaps a semi-portable water distillation setup?

Looks as though the level is to make sure that the condensate runs to toe collector not back to the boiler.

2267) Either for picking up a hot vessel by the neck, or for picking up ice. Probably the latter. Maybe even for *dry* ice.

2268) This one is quite clear to me -- though the line is rather short for normal use.

It is a "ship's log" -- used for measuring speed through the water. The part on the left is trailed behind the ship, and the dial, hooked to the transom or someplace similar, indicates how many turns the towed finned object turns in a given period of time. It can give either speed (distance over a measured time) or overall distance travelled, if the dials can accumulate enough turn counts. Looks like not a high enough count for a total distance travelled application, so go for the distance over a measured time.

Now to post and see what others have suggested. Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

Actually -- he did fix it for a while. Not sure why he un-fixed it later.

I've set the "Followup-To: " to rec.crafts.metalworking only, as that is where he hangs out of the list of cross-posted newsgroups in this posting.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

The points -- if the only contact surfaces -- would seriously reduce the transfer of heat to the rest of the tool.

Those look like they are intended to grip and turn something

-- perhaps a bottle cap, or some thing similar. If they are ice tongs (for medium small ice cubes, not the full 25-pound blocks), then the part near the handles could be for opening beverage bottles.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Usually *significantly* longer.

Short to make it fit in the museum display case, of course. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yeah, that's what I surmised, too.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I know about delete keys, and sig separators. but thanks.

Reply to
Esra Sdrawkcab
2266 - Crosley IcyBall refrigerator:

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Haven't had any luck verifying what this tool is for, the rest of the answers for this week's set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Reminds me of what they use to change an oil filter in a car. I'm not caught-up on my history of antique oil filters.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Doug Miller wrote the following:

As I recall, and I was around before refrigerators were widely owned, ice tongs were larger and the handle openings were horizontal and not vertical as these are.

Reply to
willshak

Maybe it's the other way, hot things.

My dad was a machinist, tool and die maker and I remember seeing a set of those, pretty sure he just called them tongs.

When they used to make prototypes, gears mostly, if they needed to harden the steel they were made of, they used like torch them, red hot then plummet them into an oil bath.

I don't know if it has an offical name but I'm pretty sure it was for that line of work and dunking red hot things into oil baths.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Clearly, neither do you.

Reply to
Doug Miller

These look remarkably like a pair of ice snips that a friend of mine had. Here's a photo of a similar thing (halfway down this page)

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

"Denial Dough" ??

Is that some new kind of bread ?

Reply to
George W Frost

If you go far enough back, you did not find screw-on filters as you do today. Instead, there was a cartridge, or sometimes even just a pleated thing of felt reinforced with wire screening (e.g. my '57 and '61 MGAs), which fit inside a long dome with a through bolt holding it all in place and sealed.

Here is an ad for one of the cartridge style filters from an old Popular Mechanics magazine -- bottom left-hand side of page:

Assuming this URL is still good after I log out. It is page 246 of the November 1952 issue if you need to search it down.

Anyway -- this tool would not be used for that -- and it looks a lot older than modern filters -- nor would it really get a good grip on them -- the tools made for the purpose expect regular indentations to grip.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols