What is it? Set 475

I agree. I only suggested Titanium as an alternative because it is the only other alloy which I know can be anodized, so I was covering alternate possibilities.

I wonder whether having it in hand might bring up other ideas?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well it may well not be part of something else but it's probably used with something else.

I didn't see that post and apologize profusely.

My first impressions were that a rod (leg of something?) sticks in the silicon cap and the point of the casting then sits on something else (perhaps made of wood?) or in another tube (with the point simply for location purposes).

David B

My last SWAG guess on this item is that it's part of a manual choke for something like a big truck or tractor or boat. However, to my mind, that's still a "valve".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, when Rob said "not a part of something else", I just don't see how that is possible.

The only other thing I could think of was maybe if it's some kind of like shock absorber or used to mount a hard drive to a slide rail.

In that case it would serve a stand alone function but isn't really part of something else.

It just gets me because I have held that thing in my hand within the last decade, but just can't remember what it was from or what I was doing with it.

One thing I didn't see, this is small, right? Like maybe 1/4" to 1/2" diameter? And maybe 1/2" to 3/4" in length?

If it's larger than that, I'm mistaken then and losing my mind as the wife keeps saying.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Could it be something to hold a PCB away from other components? The PCB has a 10mm hole and one rubber ring goes either side and holds the cast bit in place. The point of the cast bit holds the PCB away from a frame and something else fits in the silicon bit.

Just guessing................

David B

A center transfer punch is a standalone item, and is really just a metal slug with a pointy tip, so I've been thinking along the lines of a tool.

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

It looks like something called "spikes" which are used to put speakers on in order to reduce any interference between the speakers and the music in the room. I am not sure of the theory or if it works in practice.

/Jon

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

Very similar, but it's not gold-plate over oxygen-free copper!

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I asked the guy who sent the photo and he said that they are not speaker spikes.

Reply to
Rob H.
[ ... ]

First off -- *Please* -- there is no "silicon" bit. There is a "silicone" bit.

"Silicon" is an element, and is rather hard and brittle. It is used (in precisely impure form) to make transistors and integrated circuits, and is sometimes used for making lenses for infrared imagers. (It is opaque to visible light.) The oxide of it is plain old sand. And if silicon were used in breast implants, they would be *very* stiff. The silicone used is silicone oil in a sealed bag.

"Silicone" is any of a number of compounds which would be organic except that the carbon is replaced by silicon. This includes oils and rubbers among other things. (And yes, I can testify from experience that sand is an oxide of silicon. I experienced a situation where the vapor from an overheated silicone oil caught fire, and after it was put out, there was a lot of very fine sand scattered over the workbench where it happened. (And no -- it was not from the fire extingisher, since it was a CO2 extinguisher. :-)

This would appear to be a silicone rubber.

And as for a spacer and mount for a circuit board -- I would not use aluminum for that -- even anodized. Yes, anodization is an insulator, but it is usually not thick enough to be trusted. I have experienced a breakdown of that insulation, causing significant damage to my first kit computer -- an Altair 680b, FWIW, which I did manage to fix.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

And make for some VERY abrasive women. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell