What is it? Set 477

Howsomever, the first time they built it it would be constructed exactly

9.9873" too short.

Government: Always time (and OPM) to do it over. Getting it right the first time raises the expectations of folks to unrealistic standards!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Not sure why this is posted under set 477, since it applies to

478 (and thus I would not have read it until after posting my own answers. But I'll comment here on your item.

In South Texas, I knew them as "cattle guards", and I normally saw them on normal roadways which needed frequent traffic, thus eliminating having to open and close each gate as you drove through.

In the standard road implementation, the bars are pipes at right angles to the road instead of parallel to it here as is forced by the direction of the rails. Here, the bars appear to be triangular, making it harder to balance a hoof on the top surface.

While I'm here, I might as well deal with the rest -- as well as I can.

2780) Contrast is poor in the image, but after a bit of work I think that the blades connecting to the handle act as springs to close the claws -- and they are released by hitting the fingers in the fork of the claw.

It looks to be about the size to grip the hoof of something smaller than a horse or cow. It might be to grip the neck of something rather aggressive.

2781) A Ben-Wah ball (not sure of the spelling). :-) 2782) A rather decorative saw designed to work on the draw rather than the more common push teeth. Looks rather heavy, and appears to be designed to be supported by an overhead rope.

Given the hook and the direction of the teeth, I suspect that it is designed to rest on a rotating workpiece, with the teeth cutting and the hook keeping it from being dragged forward by the cutting force.

And it looks perhaps as though it was built in some Asian country, given the decorative work at the tip.

2783) A simple splice link for a chain. It is either to join two chains, form one into a link, or to replace a broken link. 2784) Ratcheting pusher or jack. Rests on one surface and pushes some other surface (perhaps a heavy lid or something else with the extending rod.

Not enough detail to be sure how one releases it, however.

Now posting (from rec.crafts.metalworking as always), and then on to read the rest of this thread -- and the other one with the proper group number.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nope! In Washington DC -- they would not allow the barbed wire in the first place. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

By gosh, I think he's got it!

.

Howsomever, the first time they built it it would be constructed exactly

9.9873" too short.

Government: Always time (and OPM) to do it over. Getting it right the first time raises the expectations of folks to unrealistic standards!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your google images page showed me why some say it looks like a distributor wrench, but it's not clear that any is identical to Rob's in more than one of these ways:

The right leg of the Cornwell seems to be identical to Rob's in all four ways. Call me Mister Common Sense, but I say (at the risk of being sued for plagiarism), "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck."

Reply to
j Burns

A British single track road cattle grid

Stanley Daniel de Liver

Even paint works if stock has been around cattle guards

gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

[ ... ]

Terrible URL. It would not fold, and I had to go to the smallest font and then stretch out the window to be able to cut and paste it into a browser. (And no -- in my newsreader, you *can't* just click on the URL. :-)

Anyway -- this (the "virtual cattle guard) reenforces my opinion of the mental level of cattle. In South Texas, cattle are normally wattered from a tank (a large tapered swimming pool bulldozed in the land) but in periods of drought, these can evaporate down to almost nothing, and that is when a "pear burner" is brought out. A blowtorch with the head remoted from the fuel tane which is worn on the back, and is used to burn the needles of the ubiquitous prickley pear cactus. The big thick "leaves" are full of water, and the cattle will happily chown down on these for water. Fine, until the rains return, and the cattle keep eating the prickley pear -- at least until a new growth of thorns come out, and they get a mouthfull of thorns. Then they finally remember why they don't normally eat the prickley pear. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

So even cows are smarter than the trolls on this newsgroup? :-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sorry about that. I dont know of a good way to present the massed results of a google search. Any suggestions?

Ayup...I lived in Texas more than once. McAllen, Edinberg, Pharr etc Reynosa was where we went for a good dinner and $3 a carton Marlbouros.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Google web search:

Google image search:

(cut everything after ? except from q= upto but not including the next and strip https URLs back to http.)

Sanitizing your google URLs also prevents leakage of personal information and easy profiling based on who clicks your URLs. HTH

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Ian Malcolm wrote in news:XnsA15E8A8901AF50xDEADBEEF@78.46.70.116:

... not including the next ampersand '&' and strip ...

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Many thanks!! Noted!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Actually, I would not bother. One or two direct URLs -- without the google wrappers -- would be sufficient, I would think.

It took me a while to find the part about painted patterns working, which was what I was actually looking for. The rest, I knew well enough from personal (but very old now) experience. :-)

I also do not use Google as my preferred search engine these days. I far prefer DuckDuckGo for the purpose. No tracking of what you visit, no presenting hits closer to you in place of ones which actually have the information you want. (E.g. telling you where to buy something when you are really looking for the manufacturer's web site so you can perhaps download a manual. :-)

Look at the sort of things which are embedded in that URL:

====================================================================== search?q=western+cattle+guard This one make sense.

safe=off Why do I need to know that you have safe mode off?

client=firefox-aurora Or -- what version of firefox you are using

And what does the rest of this do that I should care about?

hs=Ehr tbo=u rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial tbm=isch source=univ sa=X ei=C0cQUcjfJqnViwKz54C4BQ ved=0CGsQsAQ biw=1280 bih=870> ======================================================================

Maybe if you truncated the URL after the "search" data that would work and not take up nearly as much room.

which works fine -- even finding the Snopes page about the supposed "firing of half of the cattle guards in Colorado" legend. :-)

[ ... ]

Cotulla, for me. Sort of two thirds of the way from San Antonio to Laredo.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

In January, we were looking at this item in set 477:

which shows a valve key for turn>> In the 1964 Burt Lancaster movie, "The Train", he uses a tool

Having now seen the scene again, I was almost right. The tool that Labiche (Burt Lancaster) uses does have a socket like a socket wrench. But the heads of the track bolts aren't hexagonal; they're square.

But because they're square, a tool like the valve key, bearing on only two sides of the head, would also work.

And there's another scene where we see the bolts being turned -- that's a little earlier, where Labiche blows up a bit of track and the Germans patch it by moving a rail from behind the train. And the tool *they* use does have a head something like the valve key. (I picked exactly the wrong moment to walk away from the TV and locate the image from set 477, so i can't say if it was exactly the same, but it certainly was something like it.)

Now you know.

Reply to
Mark Brader