What is it? Set 499

Sounds like a good idea for it, though for now it remains a mystery until we can find a good reference.

Tough set this week, four of the answers have been posted, hopefully we'll get the other two in the near future.

Stormin Mormon

This pages has links to several threads where loggers talk about whistle punks. One link has a video where a man uses a bug like the mystery item to make his dogs bark.

The whistle punk was usually a teenager. He'd hook the bug to 1000 feet of 8-gage telephone wire. When a choker was set, he would give the men

30 seconds to get clear, then squeeze the bug, which activated a solenoid to blow the whistle, telling the donkey engineer to reel in the cable. When diesels took over, the whistle was called an air chime.
Reply to
j Burns

Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff there.

Reply to
Rob H.