Who shops at KBC Tools?

Are all their branches terrible or is it just the Vancouver branch? I swore I would never shop there again after two episodes when it took 6 phone calls and a month each time to get a refund for faulty items.

I relented because of the most recent flier tempting offers but run into trouble almost instantly placing the order and finally had to cancel it.

I do not want to bore people with extensive whining but I am interested: Is this a local issue or is it representative of the KBC corporate culture? Are they different in USA from Canada?

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

I've only been out there once or twice. I picked up a surface plate that was on sale, and didn't want to pay freight on it.

I have never had a problem with anything I got from them. I buy combined drill-taps, taps, some drill bits and small stuff from them a few times a year. I try to always shop at KBC first, as they are the last tool distributor left in the St. Louis area, and so I want to support them for the special cases where I need something right NOW.

So, at least the St. Louis office has worked out well for me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

=================================================>

================================================= Hey Mike,

I'm with Jon on this one. I've dealt with them in Windsor for many years, and no trouble. In fact, as a hobbiest, they have given me some great deals, and great service. I wish I was closer to them now, but I moved about 70 miles further east a little over 8 years ago, and I don't get into Windsor nearly as much. They have always comped me pretty well on shipped orders too, albeit it's small light-weight items.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Their on-line catalog blows. Easier to have a print catalog to speed things up. Their back order software blows. They won't show something in a backorder status if it will be coming from another branch.

Back in July, I ordered maybe 6 items, the web order showed them all, but they didn't charge for a threading insert, as it turned out to be back ordered. Never told me it was back ordered, the invoice with the bulk of the parts never showed a back order. Imagine my surprise at the end of September when a threading insert came (shipping was almost the same as the part!).

Talking with the rep, this is a known quirk of their invoicing, and this problem has been around since 2007.

If KBC got a real web catalog and fixed the little issues, I'd use them a lot more. If competitors do a better job, KBC might think about copying them....

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I've had mixed experience with the store in Toronto.

Probably the thing that bothers me most is the $25.00 minimum.

Just recently I was after some M8 socket head bolts. Since I have run afoul of the minimum policy in the past, I asked for a box of 100. Didn't really need that many but...

Guy behind the counter sez: "Sorry. We only have eight of em."

Me sez; "Okay. I take them."

Guy sez: "Can't sell them to you because it's less than the minimum."

Me sez (In a fit of diplomacy!): "Ah.. Wonder if you would mind to check with someone and see if you can?"

He toddles off and checks with the someone (probably Paula, the owner). Five minutes later he comes back and says that it's OK.

So they sell me the eight pieces.

When I walk out of the place I don't know if I should be pissed off with them for being stupid, or be grateful that they helped move me a small step along on one of my projects.

FWIW, someone on the Yahoo Unimat group recently suggested this place:

Prices look good. And I need a bunch of M6 stuff.

DOC

Measure thrice. Cut twice.

Reply to
doc
[...]
1) They do not ship to Canada 2) The ship UPS only

Two of the most common reasons why one even bothers with KBC.

My most recent order is still incomplete. OTOH I have been told that Paula Bass (founder's relative?) is the go-to person if there are problems.