Working under a jacked vehicle

With no jack stands set to take the load if this one starts to topple -- I would say *no*. It does not seem to have a wide enough base to be stable -- assuming that it is small enough to fit under the vehicle to start with. This looks like a railroad jack to me, which is typically too large to fit under most vehicles which you would need a jack to get yourself and a creeper under.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

That's the beauty of the Race Ramps:

The top of the ramp levels out then ends in a substantial 'stop' feature.

The traditional stamped steel ramps' 'wheel cradle' feature has you driving 'downhill' towards the stop after the ramp, giving you a queasy feeling that you *could* drive off the end.

OH! And another thing. The Race Ramps stay put on an inclined driveway! Exciting times when one steel ramp would squirt forward from under the car. I actually had to peg them into the driveway to prevent that. Feh.

--Winston :)

Reply to
Winston

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

I would not sign up to be an astronaut either.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

ABSOLUTELY NOT safe for working under a vehicle with that jack. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Yeah, they look nice. A little pricey, though.

I built my first set out of wood. Strong, with a big stop at the end, but they weighed maybe 50 pounds each. d8-)

Now I use a substantial pair made out of steel. They're not as nice as yours.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Iggy, I sometimes wonder about you. You propose some strange, dangerous things, seemingly unaware of the blatantly obvious. The Traditional, devil-may-care vehicle support here is piles of bricks stacked up - blocks of wood if available too - works OK, sort of. And I think it would work better than whatever it is in the picture you linked too. If you thought about it real hard, you could probably wedge it in there somewhere, after you do the bricks. Remember, put the bricks down with the right side up.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

(...)

That highly resembles the set I borrowed from dear old Dad Every !@#$%^ weekend.

They were made from solid, diagonally-cut 12 x 12 lumber. We didn't have any wussy "travel stops" on the ends. I came close to driving off the end, a couple times.

I gulped when I saw the price but I was *so* tired of nailing the 'low' edge of the ramps into the driveway so they wouldn't squirt out from under the car. (When that happened once, a neighbor across the street yelled out "Hey! Are YOU OK?") Heh. :)

I'm philosophical about the cost of safety-related gear. The cost of one ER visit can buy *lots* of high tech ramps and jack stands.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Isn't that the truth! Applies to all manner of gear related to safety...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Ignoramus23641 on Wed, 13 Jul

2011 17:04:00 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Safer than what?

The problem with jacks is that they are meant to move, under a load, and lower vehicles. Mechanical jacks are _less_ likely to do that than a hydraulic jack, if only because there is less possibility of a seal failing.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

unfortunately, I need a 12" length of 2x4 to get my Toy Car onto my ramps, but I only do that about once every ten years. The ramps are here for the use of "others". Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

First jack I ever bought consisted of a 4 inch square base plate with a dimple in the centre, a 30inch length of 3/4" acme threaded rod, a hook shaped nut to engage the bumper and an "L" shaped rod to fit the hole in the upper end of thet threaded rod. Greatest gadget for getting the car to move sidewise from a stuck position in soft ground, just pick up the end of the car and push side.ways. Of course you needed a couple people to steady the car until it was time to move it sideways Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Same here, for my Hyundai Sonata. My Ford Focus goes right up. So, I have two short lengths of 2x4 stored with my ramps.

Winston's ramps are looking awfully good, though.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No.

Reply to
clare

I NEVER do the final torquing while on the jack. Pull the nuts snug, drop the car, and torque.

Reply to
clare

My brother had a hydraulic HOIST come down - a two-poster. just about dumped the mini-bus off, while he was working on it.

Reply to
clare

My brother had a hydraulic HOIST come down - a two-poster. just about dumped the mini-bus off, while he was working on it.

==================

Obsolete hoist?

What happened to the safety standards with the MoL?

Reply to
Eric

Nothing more dangerous than a man who doesn't know he doesn't know!!!!

Reply to
clare

No.

==================

Absolutely, provided it has the current safety standard latches working. To unlatch the safeties the hoist has to be working on all lifts firsts.

Any that endanger workers should not be in use. These were outlawed in most places, not in third world locations.

Reply to
Eric

Bummer, Gerry....

May that be the worst thing you ever experience. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)