Working under a jacked vehicle

Ed Huntress wrote:

They were made from solid, diagonally-cut 12 x 12 lumber. We didn't have any wussy "travel stops" on the ends. I came close to driving off the end, a couple times.

I gulped when I saw the price but I was *so* tired of nailing the 'low' edge of the ramps into the driveway so they wouldn't squirt out from under the car. (When that happened once, a neighbor across the street yelled out "Hey! Are YOU OK?") Heh. :)
I'm philosophical about the cost of safety-related gear. The cost of one ER visit can buy *lots* of high tech ramps and jack stands.
--Winston
On 7/14/2011 8:47 AM, Winston wrote:

Isn't that the truth! Applies to all manner of gear related to safety...
Jon

We have the Dead Forest at my friend's shop. Layered 2x8's, al-la:
[+] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] [++++] [++++] [++++] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] [++++] [++++] [++++] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] [++++] [++++] [++++] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++]
There are three 8 ft. sections; the center is as above. The right end section is tapered down to drive up & interlocks; the top addition is also tapered but the lefthand end is level from 4 ft. in.
The end stop has pegs, and when you use the top
Heavy and hard to store but VERY solid.
We'd love to get a twinpost lift, and have looked at them; but this is a one-car garage.....with a car in it.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:08:59 -0400
<big snip>

My Dad made these ~35 years ago:
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/ramp2.jpg
They work great, not too heavy and rock solid. You may not see it too well in the image but they are made like a sandwich. Areas in the center are open, go clear through.
I've had everything from heavy 4x4 trucks to little foreign puddle jumpers run up on them...
If anyone tries copying them, I would recommend slightly beveling the sharp corners a bit where you see it contacts the floor when first jammed under the tire. Only other gotcha was if the tires and/or ramp is damp or wet when trying to drive on. Most notably with a front-wheel drive.
Old friend of mine had a set of two piece ramps. They were really nice too and I sometimes borrowed them to use along with ours. Then I could put both the front and back up at the same time. His had removable ramps so that portion could be moved out of the way while working on the vehicle. That could be done/added to our design too without a great deal of difficulty.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Nice. They look solid.

unfortunately, I need a 12" length of 2x4 to get my Toy Car onto my ramps, but I only do that about once every ten years. The ramps are here for the use of "others". Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Same here, for my Hyundai Sonata. My Ford Focus goes right up. So, I have two short lengths of 2x4 stored with my ramps.
Winston's ramps are looking awfully good, though.
--
Ed Huntress

> but I only do that about once every ten years. The ramps are
Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)
You *know* you want'em. :)
--Winston

Not nearly as much as I want some of the contents of SI's Swimsuit Issue.
It's all priorities. For example, do I want a better way to lay on my back and change oil and filters in my cars, which, being the original cheapskate, I always do myself? Do I want it $200 worth? Yes, and no. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)
(Giggle!)
Only 167 shopping days till Christmas.
:)
--Winston
Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)
Bummer, Gerry....
May that be the worst thing you ever experience. :)
--Winston
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:11:13 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

ABSOLUTELY NOT safe for working under a vehicle with that jack. Dave
On Jul 13, 5:04pm, Ignoramus23641 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23641.invalid> wrote:

Those are only approved for liberal Democrats.
Rex wrote:

Or Red Army enlisted soldiers.

It's never safe to work under a vehicle that is asymmetrically supported. Supports should always be used in pairs if you're going to be underneath it.
Ignoramus23641 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jGSdU3i6Ku7VuMdaoUboR9xO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
Those are great jacks, but not a substitute for a pair of proper jack stands. A pair of proper 6T jack stands is <$50 generally if you shop around.
A real vehicle lift can be had for around $2k used for us normal folks, or $200 for Iggy...
On Jul 13, 4:04pm, Ignoramus23641 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23641.invalid> wrote:

The old advice is correct, NEVER work under a vehicle supported just by a jack. Seals fail on hydraulics, mechaincal ones can twist or tip. HF has jackstands so cheap, it's foolish not to have a pair or two. I've personally had a car roll on me supported just by a jack, I rolled out just before it came down or I would have been squished. Jack it up, stick the jackstand under it and set it down on that. Either that or get some heavy duty ramps. Have a set of those, too. If you're working on the rear and want to jack that up, block the fronts with wheel chocks. All this stuff costs peanuts compared with what COULD happen if the thing rolls while you're under there.
Stan
On 07/13/2011 03:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

Even if all your relatives have to pay for is a cheap funeral, that's still more expensive.
And if it squishes you and leaves you brain-damaged but alive and needy -- that's _way_ more expensive than jack stands.
Always use jack stands, and think about what's under them (the driveway at my old place featured concrete that was only 1/2" thick in places -- I learned this one day when I stuck a jack under a car and jacked the driveway down an inch or two. After that, jack stands always went onto pads of thick plywood or sections of 2x12).
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

I've been using a pair of these for the last few years: http://www.raceramps.com/race-ramps-56.aspx
They are the cat's pajamas. Very strong and lightweight.
--Winston
On Jul 13, 6:04pm, Ignoramus23641 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23641.invalid> wrote:

NO WAY would I trust my precious self to that. My personal standard is two ramps, two wide-based jack stands with feet added to protect the asphalt, and try real hard to shake the vehicle off the stands before crawling under. If at all possible I leave the tires on, otherwise (hubs, ball joints etc) I add another stand or large wooden blocks.
jsw