Working under a jacked vehicle

Not nearly as much as I want some of the contents of SI's Swimsuit Issue.

It's all priorities. For example, do I want a better way to lay on my back and change oil and filters in my cars, which, being the original cheapskate, I always do myself? Do I want it $200 worth? Yes, and no. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And, yes, whats obvious to one person is invisible to another - I had forgotten that, sorry. And your quite correct TMT - an inquiring mind is a fine thing. But some things - well, I do wonder. Iggy, I really wish you well, you have an enthusiasm thats admirable, you get a lot of things done - hope you are doing something about your back as well, hows it going? And Iggy - was it you that did his training back in the old USSR? - trade training, so hazard awareness should have been beaten into you. Even in Russia.

And, TMT - as an aside, I own an American made washing machine (its better quality and build than anything local, fantastic bit of production engineering- massively over-engineered in all the important bits) and its got a sign on the lid saying "do not put hands into moving machine." - so, I guess your legislators have decided that for some people the blatantly obvious is not apparent. You are lucky to have such people running the country.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

NO. I dropped a car off a hydraulic jack once, and it almost landed on me.

Maybe if you chocked the wheels that are still on the ground, but you really should use a jack stand that won't tip over.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Gerald Miller on Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:19:46 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

LOLA.

Oh yes.

I had two touring busses almost land on me. The first time the supporting wooden blocks shifted and it only "fell off the jack". Second time, the jack stand transferred the weight of the buss to one cobble stone, which then "sank". I heard the creak and rolled out from under it, just as it dropped. Happened so fast, I didn't even have time to get scared.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

(...)

(Giggle!)

Only 167 shopping days till Christmas.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

_Bus-ercize_ the instant way to a thinner you!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The -=_Bus-ercize Weight Loss System_=-

Just jack up that bus, climb on your creeper, and roll under. When you hear the creak, grab the outer edge of the frame and push the bus off yourself. If the bus doesn't go shooting off above you, your creeper will have gone shooting off out from under it (the more likely situation.) You'll be shaking so badly that you'll skip a meal or three.

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a tube of bandsaw blade lube that warns not to apply it to moving blades. If someone can sue because the burgers they bought made them fat, anything's possible.

Just imagine if the police, fire and military had to obey OSHA.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

We have the Dead Forest at my friend's shop. Layered 2x8's, al-la:

[+] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] [++++] [++++] [++++] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] [++++] [++++] [++++] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] [++++] [++++] [++++] [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++]

There are three 8 ft. sections; the center is as above. The right end section is tapered down to drive up & interlocks; the top addition is also tapered but the lefthand end is level from

4 ft. in.

The end stop has pegs, and when you use the top

Heavy and hard to store but VERY solid.

We'd love to get a twinpost lift, and have looked at them; but this is a one-car garage.....with a car in it.

Reply to
David Lesher

A friend was almost killed by one; it was a MaBell garage where he rebuilt automatic transmissions in their trucks.

The lift start sinking and being blind, he did not notice it. A cow orker yelled out and he got out OK.

After that, he learned where the safety lock was located...

Reply to
David Lesher

My brother was almost hit by a tractor trailer truck walking across the road. Now he takes the blindfold off before leaving the curb.

-------

Ignoramus23641 wrote:

NO. I dropped a car off a hydraulic jack once, and it almost landed on me.

Maybe if you chocked the wheels that are still on the ground, but you really should use a jack stand that won't tip over.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Josepi

That must have really been something to see! I didn't even know tractor trailer trucks could walk!!!!!!!

Was it in his pajamas? ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Roads are really dangerous and people should stop using them.

Damn! That nested posting is garbage and easy to confuse. I can't remember what I posted anymore. Ohhhh.. you are running one of those imported readers. That explains it.

--------

That must have really been something to see! I didn't even know tractor trailer trucks could walk!!!!!!!

Was it in his pajamas? ;-D

------------ Josepi wrote: My brother was almost hit by a tractor trailer truck walking across the road. Now he takes the blindfold off before leaving the curb.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Josepi

At least he isn't chicken.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My Dad made these ~35 years ago:

They work great, not too heavy and rock solid. You may not see it too well in the image but they are made like a sandwich. Areas in the center are open, go clear through.

I've had everything from heavy 4x4 trucks to little foreign puddle jumpers run up on them...

If anyone tries copying them, I would recommend slightly beveling the sharp corners a bit where you see it contacts the floor when first jammed under the tire. Only other gotcha was if the tires and/or ramp is damp or wet when trying to drive on. Most notably with a front-wheel drive.

Old friend of mine had a set of two piece ramps. They were really nice too and I sometimes borrowed them to use along with ours. Then I could put both the front and back up at the same time. His had removable ramps so that portion could be moved out of the way while working on the vehicle. That could be done/added to our design too without a great deal of difficulty.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Nice. They look solid.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes it is. He rebuilt transmissions there for years but got disgusted and quit. I was in engineering school with him.

I wish the spammers got that result; I get mail there every hour.

Reply to
David Lesher

No, the hoist was under inspection at the time. (had valid inspection).

MOL did not get involved as there was no injury. Needless to say, ALL the hoists were re-inspected - more stringently than required by law. Not sure if any defects were found on the rest, but that hoist had to be completely re-done.

Reply to
clare

In those days, I was so skinny I had to run around in the shower to get wet. After that "exercise routine", I was much more careful. I figured I'd had about as much of such excitement as I could stand for one lifetime.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

That would have been...