Working under a jacked vehicle

I hear ya.

But what would you have done differently?

Braced the blocks against shifting, somehow? Use a steel plate under the jack stand to spread the weight over many cobblestones?

Get an MBA and be an accountant rather than a wrench?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

No, the hoist was under inspection at the time. (had valid inspection).

MOL did not get involved as there was no injury. Needless to say, ALL the hoists were re-inspected - more stringently than required by law. Not sure if any defects were found on the rest, but that hoist had to be completely re-done.

===========

I have zero experience with hoists except that all the ones I have seen for the last 10-15 years have foolproof latches on them that do not permit a hoist to fall, period. This didn't used to be the case years back. MoL specifies the rules in the workplace, accident or not.

Reply to
Eric

"Foolproof" means you haven't yet stumbled into the right fool.

The easier a machine is to operate, the dumber the operator they'll hire. I watched a UAW girl load and start an antilock brake test stand I had built. Her nose was buried in a Barbara Cartland romance novel and she never looked away from it.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Foolproof" means you haven't yet stumbled into the right fool.

The easier a machine is to operate, the dumber the operator they'll hire. I watched a UAW girl load and start an antilock brake test stand I had built. Her nose was buried in a Barbara Cartland romance novel and she never looked away from it.

jsw

=================== Classic! Ya' got to love it!

I wrote some games on a machine in the old days (70s) for my young kids to play and thought I had bulletproofed same for any contingency that could arise. My oldest went first (about 4-5 yoa) and first thing he pressed was the big red reset button!

Now he runs around most of the continents pushing everybody else's buttons with his software but it just shows to go ya' there is always another angle.

Reply to
Eric

They specify the rules, but do not (necessarily) investigate if no injury occurs.

Reply to
clare

Why don't you get a clue, rather than post stupid complaints? That is part of his 'Sig File' and it isn't meant to be a clickable link. Look at the top of the message at the from: line. THAT IS WHERE YOU CLICK TO REPLY. If that doesn't match what you saw below, then copy the bottom address and paste it into your email client. I swear that people are getting dumber all the time. They need to make people pass an aptitude test before they let them get on line. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell