Subject Author Posted Replies

Remove thick coat of paint
I have a question on how to remove stubborn paint from the metal plates, other than using of paint remover? Remove thick coat of paint that can't be chipped off the metal plates using chipping...
9
9

Stainless Steel
Hi, I originally posted this on the DIY site and it was suggested I should try here. I had to heat up some stainless steel rod with an acetylene torch to put a couple of tight bends in it. How can I...
4
4

FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ
Have two Model C South Bend lathes: One 3 1/2 foot bed flat belt drive One 3 foot bed flat belt drive Have only one horizontal motor drive for the above One set of change gears two 3 jaw chucks Both...

GM V6 intake manifold leak again- Help!
A couple of you guys pointed out to me that the GM V6 is prone to developing leaks in the intake manifold gasket resulting in coolant getting into the oil. When I was first checking it out I drained...
10
10

Moment of Inertia for S Type I Beam
I have an I beam that is S type with tapering legs that is A36 steel. The width is 3.5" and the height is 6". The web is .5" thick and the ends of the legs start out at .25" thick and taper to .5"...
6
6

what is it?
At this site you will find a picture of a focault pendulum clock that has a cone shaped piece of metal from a hydroelectric generating station. nThe metal is 'said' to be really hard, but it has been...
6
6

Redirecting exhaust on a riding mower
I recently replaced the engine on my ancient Snapper riding mower. New engine works great except that the exhaust is on the front of the engine. It has a deflector that spews it out to the right,...
3
3

Thanks to Jack Erbes
And to others who provided helpful comments about the rifle I had been working on - most of the parts of this winchester 1873 that were missing I purchased from Numrick Arms, the rest of the missing...
2
2

Brass bonding?
I have an old cigarette lighter I'm fixing. I made a "screw" from a brass dowel stock in my drill with a file. It's really just a peg right now. It's the right size and shape. Rather than buy a tap...
2
2

major interrupted cuts on lathe
Do you think that one could take a really interrupted cut - cutting the OD of automotive crankshaft counterweights to a smaller OD - in forged EN-19 hardened steel? The hardening is a surface...
3
3

OT- ford crown vic- what's the deal?
What's the skinny on the crown vic. It's a big car that has issues with gas tank integrity...Does the caprice have similar stats in being rear ended? Seems that you'd have sufficient crumple zones in...
10
10

South Bend Lathe
Before I go the Ebay route or a local dealer, is anyone in the New York metropolitan area interested in a 9" South Bend Lathe? Set up on a bench and ready to go. I have to clear out the garage in a...

GLOAT: The Mazak has landed
The riggers just left after putting my Mazak M4 CNC lathe in the new shop. Its an 8000 lb. 20 hp. machine, about 16" by 72" size, with a Camsoft retrofit CNC control. The electricians are due...
3
3

tin art
Hi, I want to make some small garden type creatures. I want to use tin as the metal, so they are very light. Can I solder tin to tin with a home type soldering iron, and acid flux? Also could you make...
1
1

FS: Dayton Cartridge Rolls for Sanding/Grinding !CheaP!
The NEW cartridge rolls are in 50 & 80 Grit..I have them 2" & 1-1/2" length..Most screw onto a 1/4" Shank mandrel.. Priced at less than Wholesale. Contact me direct at: