Subject Author Posted Replies

Fastest way to remove rust and paint from flat steel surface/
I have a rectangular fuel tank that has some rust and flaking paint. I want to remove both and re-prime and repaint, so that the tank looks less menacing. Attempts to do it with a wire brush on a 4.5"...
28
28

OT: Pete Albrecht mentioned in NYT
Old-timers here will remember Pete Albrecht; some may remember that his major line of work at the time was translating German engineering books into English. He also worked for Porsche in Germany and...
3
3

Magnetize your Maglite
I sawed off the threaded portion of this EMT connector. MiniMAG LED flashlight fits very nicely in it. I clamp on a toroidal magnet using the setscrew. This is very handy to stick on my sheet metal...
15
15

Shaded pole motors
Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given up the ghost. A call around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so. This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a...
21
21

Oregon Update
What a week. First the freeze, which got my pipes and left me waterless, but only for 8 hours. Then the HVAC system went crazy, slowly losing its effectiveness to warm the house over the past 3 days,...
16
16

Purchased the Leblond
Whadya think ? $1500.00 a good price ? Best Regards Tom. http://members.cox.net/azotic/Leblond.jpg
12
12

Just sold my Soma Cube! (actual metal content) :-)
I carved this out of some scrap some years ago on the company mill: of the small cubes is 0.750 +0 -0.005. :-) It's been sitting on my desk for years - yesterday one of the new guys in the shop came...
6
6

Bridgeport Mill For Sale
If anyone here is interested in metal working (I doubt it, too much political bullshit being posted), there is a Bridgeport Mill for sale here in the high desert of Californicate. $1200. No further...
7
7

TACO Zone Valve Power Head (Series 570)
I woke this morning to no heat in the north section on our home. I check the thermostat and it was showing the demand at 72 degrees and temperature at 64 degrees. I felt both zone valve and both were...
4
4

LEBLOND lathes any good
Anybody have or use LEBLOND 15" X 30" lathe There is one available for under 2K and i am considering buying it. Any design flaws or common problems with Leblonds ? Seems comparable to a monarch 10ee...
13
13

Compressor watts at PSI output
Can't remember if it was this list. The question was raised, does compressor amperage decrease as pressure increases. I set up an informal test, using equipment on hand. Plugged in a Kill A Watt...
17
17

That Crazy Spiral in the Sky
"That Crazy Spiral in the Sky? It Might Be Real" [ When we saw the pictures of the spiral in the Norwegian sky this morning, we immediately wrote it off as an impressively elaborate, funny-looking but...
3
3

Dual Saw -- anyone use one?
Awl -- I haven't, but for the life of me, all I see are *disadvantages* to this gadget. The first is, of course, cost. This thing is triple the cost of a 7 1/4" circ saw, with blades that are 4-6...
37
37

Star Gate?
MYSTERIOUS giant spiral of light that dominated the sky over Norway this morning has stunned experts ? who believe the space spectacle is an entirely new astral phenomenon. Thousands of awe-struck...
21
21

Spur gear YouTube
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know": A gear is made from bar stock to finished gear. Please look at my other metal...
17
17