Subject Author Posted Replies

mitutoyo squares
I got a small part for my digimatic calipers from Grainger, just give them a call with the tool model number.
5
5

Metalwork on wood lathe
I suspect many existing members of this group will have an apoplexy reading this but I shall ask anyway: Has anyone done metalwork on a wood lathe? The reasons to ask are convoluted: I can see some...
8
8

Help! Bridgeport slide kaput
It got to the end of the stroke with the power feed & jumped the track in there so that it no longer moves left to right. I have heard of this happening before and in fact seen it, but I forget what...
4
4

cutting cast iron
So a friend's Levittown house has a 3" dia. drain in the utility room. Alas, it's less than useful as the cast iron bell sticks up ~2" above the floor. So when his waterheater split, his house...
10
10

OT-Blatant Plug - Spinal Cord Injuury Book
My middle son and his wife just had a jointly authored book published. It's about spinal cord injuries and how victims and their families can best deal with those tough for me to even think about...
3
3

OT: SWAT team visits neighbor
Two years ago, one of the buildings in our little industrial park was sold to a "plumbing supply outfit". Its 3 story at about 15k' per floor. I never saw any activity there and we were all a bit...
7
7

George McDuffee
Fitch thinks that housing prices have another 10% to go down. This is a more mild number than my guess of 15-20%. Very nice interactive graphic also.
23
23

Diamond wheel tool grinder
We are setting up a "family machine shop". Way back when, during an ebay buying binge, I bought a nifty old diamond wheel tool grinder. I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the brand but it...
55
55

Newbie Lathe/Mill Question
I'm looking into purchasing a small combo lathe/mill. I could buy one of each, but I don't have much room in my shop and, unless there's good reasons to avoid the combo units, that's the way I'd like...
16
16

OT - Don't the police have better things to do?
THOMAS TOWNSHIP, Mich.?Police say a Michigan man has been arrested after "receiving sexual favors from a vacuum" at a car wash. The Saginaw News reports the 29-year-old Swan Creek Township man was...

OT: Countertops in kitchen
We're doing a new kitchen and are undecided between "Corian" and "Quartz". We are heavily leaning to the Quartz. Is there anything I should know from a practical point of view?
22
22

Work Hardening Stainless
I have a couple questions about work hardening 300 series stainless. Does it get hard enough for something with high strain in a very limited stretch? Something like a fish hook? When it reaches full...
3
3

OT- a very basic question
Sarah or Tina?
19
19

FA: projects in metal and machinst's workshop magazines
posting through google since teranews has quit passing on my posts again here are the links - good project magazines - all metal related - see, it's even on topic. ?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300267607000
1
1

What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out on a milling machine?
What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out used on a milling machine? Thank you all in advance. Rod
4
4