Subject Author Posted Replies

machine tool demand down
anyone seeing this ? "U.S. July machine tool demand stood at $271.37 million, down 22 percent from June and down 9.5 percent from July 2006, said the American Machine Tool Distributors' Association...
5
5

slip roll?
I have located a 30" sheet metal slip roll in my general area. It's about 2 hours away by car. It isn't new, looks to be solid old US. I have only seen one photo. The seller states that there is no...
10
10

Update on the Containerized shop
I've posted a few questions off and on about things like putting Machine tools on a wood floor and on insulating a shop. I figured i would post an interim update on how my shop upgrade is going. I...
51
51

HF Inline Sander Mods
this on sale for $22.00 to continue the bodywork on my Datsun Roadster. The first one lasted 10 minutes, when the sled(bottom pad/paper carrier) became detached from the drive plate. Turned out, it's...

Help with odd tool id
leeana fired this volley in news: It appears to be what's left of a well pipe (4") recovery tool, minus the expanding collet between the two large washers. They're used when a length of pipe has been...
3
3

JD-455 fix follow-up
Here's the upshot on the John Deere 455 with the non-func tranny. Check out the hydraulic schematic on if you're interested in seeing the logic; chase down through the service links until you find the...
1
1

Portland Oregon metal supplier?
Sure. In the Clackamas area is Clackamas Steel. They're a surplus yard. Mainly steel, but they have stainless and aluminum also. The aluminum is in a shed toward the back. They encourage customers to...
5
5

Dimmer on an electric motor?
I want to put a low rpm motor on a pump to aid a thermosiphon device. It's for an outside shower, and I think the thermosiphon would just move too slowly. I found a pump, but it needs a drive. Would I...
3
3

how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control?
I'm on my second electronic variable speed control inside my Dremel model 395 tool. This one just crapped out with the same temperamental symptoms as the last one. I need to use the tool tomorrow...
115
115

drill bits
i in the middle of a project for my company ,but having small problem with drilling through 1/4 inch steel. my question is what is the best type of drill bit to use for boring thru the side of a...
7
7

Metric Chuck Key?
I picked up a Chinese drill chuck cheap today at the flea market. The chuck is a 5mm-20mm. I thought that I had a suitable key for it in my stash, but I don't. I guess I will have to buy one. Does...
1
1

OT: Pressure washer winter storage
I need to store my recently acquired pressure washer in an unheated shed. The manual makes mention of filling the system (flushing) with RV antifreeze. I have lots of old automotive antifreeze. What...
2
2

Moving center drilled hole
Say you've laid out the end of a shaft for a center hole to take a dead center and the hole comes out a bit off center. How would you go about 'moving' the hole back to center? Phil Kangas
11
11

Aluminum Extrusions
On occasions we have need of a small quantity of a custom extruded aluminum shape. For the very small quantities we mill the desired shape from bar. For the larger quantities, still smaller then most...
3
3

need 2 x 32" belts for sander
Various grits... for my belt sander. The last time I had a local place do a custom order for a bunch ranging from 60 grit thru 320 and now I am getting real low. The same place is closed now, so I...
3
3