Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Repair of a broken camera lens
Hi all, Looking for ideas... My son didn't put my camera away properly, then my wife moved it and dropped it. The lens has a small piece that has broken off... piece attaches to the zoom ring and...
25
25

Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World - wear rates
I sure by now most of us have looked at I was looking at some documentation on the engine builders site and came across this: ". The cylinder liner wear rates are in the region of 0.02=960.03 mm/ 1000...
18
18

Worlds Most powerful Diesel engine - wear rate
I sure by now most of us have looked at I was looking at some documentation on the engine builders site and came across this: ". The cylinder liner wear rates are in the region of 0.02=960.03 mm/ 1000...

Usefulness of cross slide rotary tables?
Greetings All, I have and use a Troyke 12 inch cross slide rotary table (R/T). Before the advent of widespread CNC milling machines these tools were practically indispensible to mold makers and...
8
8

Expanding Mandrel
The Quick Release MT2 or between centers Expanding Mandrels offered by Arc Euro Trade (near the bottom of seem perfect for some of my projects. Has anyone used these? What accuracy should I expect? Is...

Bridgeport table feed motor wiring
I wonder if anyone has a readable diagram, of how the spaghetti junction of wires that lurks behind the speed control housing of a Bridgeport table feed, should be wired to the microswitches. I have...
7
7

Helical Gears - Ivan Law
Ivan Law published a set of revised gear cutter buttons in Model Engineer June 1990. In the article he mentioned he omitted the cutting of Helical Gears from his book 'Gears and Gear Cutting'. There...
3
3

Laser Scanning
Can anyone recommend a laser scanning service for small parts to the home hobbyist (ie cheap) in the UK???
6
6

Making a replacement gear for thread dial indicator
I'm currently fixing a number of issues on my recently acquired Colchester Bantam 800 lathe; one of the problems I've found is that the gear on the thread dial indicator has a tooth missing. I don't...
7
7

Could it happen?

Thermite process in action
I see some interesting pictures of the thermite process in use to weld the tramway sections on the steam railway through Portmadoc. See this link thought it was done in place, but this looks like it...
5
5

Drilling the hard stuff
I need to drill a 3mm (or 1/8) hole in 58-62 Rockwell steel. Can't anneal it. Will carbide do? Do I need to use diamond? If so, sources for a suitable drill? The hole must be pretty accurate, maybe...
9
9

How sealed is a sealed bearing
I have an oily problem with a dynamo on an old engine. Oil leaks from the engine, past the drive gear, lubricates a ball bearing (which it is supposed to do), defeats a felt seal and then soaks the...
7
7

Simple oscillating 45 degree engine
Hi I`m looking for some info on building a oscillating based on these plans: of it seems OK but I can`t understand the inlet and exhaust arrangement. There is a detail box B which shows the exhaust as...
3
3

Rechargeable battery question
The battery pack on my ultrasonic thickness tester is dying. It consists of six AA NiCd cells strapped together. I went to Maplins this morning planning to get some new cells, but virtually all their...
12
12