Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

holding small flat jobs
I had occasion the other day to contemplate milling a smallish flat bit of metal to reduce its thickness a bit. it's L shaped and roughly 2" on a side, and about 3mm thick. Since holing it in the...
7
7

Digital Vernier
Gentlemen, ALDI's are selling Digital Verniers for £8.99 in a case with a spare battery, I've just bought one to put with my Van tools. It also has a very large digital display for us old un's Martin...
17
17

Anyone in Thetford?
Or close to it,that could look at something in an auction.Got to be done Monday daytime or Tues am.Will pay. Mark.
2
2

Adjusting a Chester Metal Cutting Bandsaw to cut square
I have a small Chester H110 metal cutting band saw which periodically decides to cut less square than I would like. When I first bought it, it cut decidely squint, but the cause was obiously work...
5
5

rotary table
Hi, I`m in the market for a rotary table. I`ve been looking at the 4" sizes because the table on my Chester Super B is 310x148, but i`ve been told that a 6" will fit, i`m a bit confused (that doesnt...
2
2

Openings for infosys(voice process)
PLZ CARRY PRINT OUT OF THIS MAIL Hi JOB PROFILE : Process: Voice Process Qualification : any Degree (Any graduates having min of 15 years of education.) Experience :0 to 1.5yr Location : Bangalore...
1
1

FA: Picador "tailstock" Plummer Block
Picador "tailstock" Plummer Block, marked "Fig 221" The centre height is approx 3.75" This is the same format as a standard (fig 220) tall-boy plummer block (as shown here: ) but with a central shaft...

Eureka relieving tool
Hi All I am thinking ogf making a Eureka Relieving tool for machining gear cutters to the Ivan Law design, I have a copy of the drawing. Have any of you made and used one of these and are there any...
5
5

Heidenhain DRO scale faulty
I wonder if anyone has a solution to a DRO not working on the X axis of a Bridgeport. Its not the readout, swapped X and Y plugs and the X axis readout then functions, albeit its reading the Y axis. I...
3
3

Distinguish brass from bronze
I have a variety of yellow metal bars, and wish to machine a new bush for a breadmaker. How can I distinguish which is bronze? Does it matter? JW²
14
14

steel for sale
Morning All I have been lurking here for a while and am not entirely sure if it is permissable to post an advert - but here goes I have just aquired around 400kg+ of bright steel - flat and round,...
6
6

Collet confusion.
Hi , I have been surfing sites like Chronos , RDG and RHR looking for some tooling and I noticed the number of different collets available , this is leading to some confusion on my behalf. Just...
29
29

mystery metal ID
Evening all, I have been sent a piece of 'mystery metal' to make some heli parts from. The sender told me its 6Al4V Ti, which by all accounts is a PIG to work with. However it isnt... which leads me...
12
12

Warco BH600
Hi Guys Newbie to the forum, just received a second hand BH600 lathe from Warco, i had to wait 2 months while the unit went through their workshops for a sprucing, all in all good with only minor...
1
1

surface gauge - why flat base?
Given that a surface gauge (and indeed height gauges) need to sit securely on a surface plate, why don't they have a tripod support (which sits secure regardless), instead of having a flat base, which...
57
57