CAD Programs

Hi,

In order to help me build my vertical slide (mentioned in another thread) I have been looking at CAD programs. One of them that I have found is FelixCAD

5 LT
This looks quite good and loads of options, though if anyone else is using this, I am after a bit of help.

A bit of background. I used to be an engineer, apprentice trained but left engineering for an electronics career. This was about 16 years ago, so things are starting to get a bit faded...

From technical design, I remember the design layouts, orthographic and isometric. I am trying to use the cad program to do orthographic. (This is Plan, Front and Side)

The light version of FelixCAD doesn't really do 3d, though the sample drawings are 3D. However, when drawing, you can set a Z value and when looking at a different viewpoint, you can see the item at a z level. However, it appears that you cannot draw an object on the Z plane.

I have spent all day today trying to work out how to use the program. Even in 2D, I would be happy to use it, but am now getting confused with these viewpoints. (To me, I can use a viewpoint to depict the item in x, y and z) but it doesn't let me, though last night, when I was playing with it, it seemed to do.

Am I going to have to draw my vertical slide in just two planes (as I would with a normal paper drawing board) or can I get the 3rd plane and have different viewpoint windows working?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a (free) package that will be a little more friendly (but still has plenty of features).

Cheers. Dave Colliver.

Customise your internet experience

Dave

snip

Dave, have a look at:

there's a good selection there for you and fairly well described. I use TurboCad myself (a bough-and-paid for version), but even the Lite version is pretty good I believe.

Mike in British Columbia, Canada

Reply to
Michael Gray

Thanks, I will have a look.

Dave. ~~ Customise your internet experience

Dave

"Dave"

I don't know anything about using these proffesionaly but I found the free packages harder to use than autocad, autocad is all pretty easy to use, not a lot you can't do with a pline. So if you can get something that is like autocad or uses the same commands that's probably a good starting point..

if you want 3d solidworks is pretty simple to use.

-- richard

Reply to
richard

Yes but rather pricey for amateur use?

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

At around £ 4,000 a copy it's not exactly cheap for professional use... and maintenance is extra.... :-(

Mind you there are places that sell it at £ 40... :-)

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I found a copy openly on sale in a shop during a business trip to Malaysia. I seem to remeber it was about £2!

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

: >Mind you there are places that sell it at £ 40... :-) : I found a copy openly on sale in a shop during a business trip to : Malaysia. I seem to remeber it was about £2! : : Russell.

It is not much different to shop lifting!

Reply to
Chris

All readers of the NG are cautioned that possession of software for which you do not have a bona-fide licence is a criminal offence.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

No it isn't. Wrong again, as per.

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stupid Boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

So that covers EVERYTHING does it Shit for Brains ??

I have a copy of quite an expensive piece of software on my computer at present, about 5K. I have the genuine install disk in the drawer. I have the genuine manual on the shelf. BUT I don't own the program or have paid for it, or intend to [it's not a demo ]

Now while you are trying to make your unemployment giro stretch a bit further, work that out, you little grey person. They ought to nail you to shithouse doors instead of those rather drab AIDS notices.

Are you going to Harrogate BTW? I can meet you at the Blackgates stand and entertain you for lunch ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Indeed you are.

The helpful article you refer to was obviously written by someone who understands the business of EULAs ( that's End User License Agreements ) - and refers to the illegal USE of software.

The user is not bound by the EULA until they accept the terms ( hence the little message that comes up saying 'Do you accept? Yes/No?' ).

What you said, and I quote, was: " possession of software for which you do not have a bona-fide licence is a criminal offence. "

Note - possession, as opposed to USE.

It is quite possible for a person to unknowingly possess an illegal copy of a software application ( it may have been bought it in good faith from an apparently reputable dealer ), and only find out that they are not entitled to use it once they read the EULA. In which case they are required to proceed no further with installation.

Indeed, by your reckoning, everyone who downloads a shareware application becomes an instant criminal - given that there will be a period of ownership before the licence is bought.

Now, I understand we all realise that your perception of consumer law is woefully sketchy at best - and much ( oh, very much! ) laughter is had at your expense over your ineptitude...so don't you think it's a bit rich for you to be dishing out legal advice, especially when you can't even get the words right?

I think you can scratch 'legal eagle' off your very short list of things you aspire to.

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Shouldn't yopu sign that as Rex?

Reply to
Henry Springer

You need to revise your knowledge (or lack of it) upon the matter of copyright law pretty sharpish, OM

Try and follow up the actions of Trading Standards Officers in car boot sales, and you will find that your rather infantile desperation to want to cause offence has once again made you look a silly fool.

Stupid boy.

(Other readers of this NG are cautioned against taking the advice of Mr.Howard on this and other legal issues.)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

A lot of EULA's won't stand up in court. I have taken one on and won without going to court.

I also have another piece of software here Vector CAD/CAM still in it's sealed paper CD cover which states, and I read:-

"I accept the terms of the Centriforce license agreement when I break this seal, or use the software. ( See inside front manual cover )"

The manual is on the CD

Could you image that going to court.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

How does changing the subject to "trading in illegal software" make your original statement less wrong?

Even in the face of a pertinent example where your argument falls down, you still cling on to it.

Your 'one size fits all' legal advice is like the rest of your inane spew - utterly worthless.

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I've seen some of the hoo-hah going on about these badly worded EULAs...it's quite similar to those disclaimers you see in corporate emails, whereby you 'have' to agree to non-disclosure etc. They bung them at the end of the email, which effectively means that you aren't given the option to decline the terms.. having already read the email.

The only court that would uphold it would be one presided over by Judge Bean...who'd be kept busy prosecuting himself due to people slipping shareware floppies into his Tellytubbies sandwich box.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

My original statement was in response to a posting discussing £2 illegal copies from the Far East, and was quite correct.

All my further comments are quite correct - you need to have a valid licence for all software that you have installed. Sometimes that licence may be a universal licence, as in the case of freeware, but you still need that licence.

You seem determined to want to utter statements that are offensive, and, as such, you show yourself to be of rather an infantile disposition.

I am surprised that you behave in such a way, and at the same time advertising your "business". Perhaps your infantile behaviour is indicative of the way that intending customers of yours will be treated?

Stupid boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

You seem to be determined to utter statements that are offensive. Such behaviour on your part is rather silly and infantile.

Shame on you.

I am surprised that you behave in such an infantile manner while at the same time advertising your "business". No doubt there are many intending customers of yours who will be put off by unstable behaviours such as you exhibit below.

Stupid boy.

As to your other comments below, whereas there are some aspects of an EULA that are unenforceable in a civil case, that is no defence against the criminal matter of you, or anyone, using software for which they do not have a licence.

(Other readers of this NG are cautioned against accepting the legal advice that Mr.Howard offers)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean