chester aftersales service

...but they always seem to end up dissapointing the buyer in some way?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I presume the original poster has what comprises of a manual for this machine ? If so in the parts list does it actually list oil seals? On most small lathes of all types they more often than not never even bothered with oil seals, many were on plain bearings.

From seeing the build up of a lot of the Chinese machines many just have sealed ball races fitted, often with metal shields. Given the price paid for this even after a year it would be worth while to pull this down and replace the original bearings with decent rubber sealed bearings if this is the case.

Whilst making no excuses for Chester's reply these machine need to be regarded as a kit for price paid against what you get. Warco as Andrew pointed out seems to have a better reputation, perhaps they check theirs over before hand? Arc Euro do a two tier system where they sell out the box, like Chester and you are on your own or a prepared one which address's faults they have come to recognise over the years.

Myfords had a new super 7 at Bristol, long bed with milling attachment priced at £13,400 and I kid you not. Ironically this machine doesn't have oil seals fitted either....................................

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Only because THEY served their apprenticeship at Royal Enfield. Mine used to leak oil where there were no joints. The tank badge used to say Royal Enfield, built like a gun. At least that part was true, mine used to go bang quite often.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John, this comment of yours took me back years, my mother always knew which pub my father was in - just followed the oil drips. He made another mistake when he put concrete on the patch of dirt where it used to stand - what a mess.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

One would expect a lathe with plain bearings and a total loss oil system to drip oil, It'd be buggered if it didn't (Be very nice If they could have bothered to put oil flingers, catch chambers and drains in though).

If the OPs lathe has got journal bearings and a sump, then the oil seals shouldn't really be leaking, should they?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Trevor hi, good point and I agree that it is hardly going to stop the lathe working. However, (and I have also assumed here) if the lathe was working and not leaking for the first 11 (?) months one would assume that was the way it was designed and how it should work. If it then develops a leak then I feel it should be returned to it's designed performance within the guarantee period. An issue of principle rather than a practical necessity maybe but in my mind a refusal to even try is indicative of the companies philosophy. I take it all back of course if it has leaked from day one.

{snipped lots of good points}

At lest four out of the six "good quality British" machines but all I suspect well over a year old. Like others on here my Myford drips oil everywhere but that was how it was (I hesitate to use the word designed) created. My 35 year old Boxford doesn't leak and interestingly to add to the British/Import discussion my 5 year old Warco BH600 doesn't leak either.

I think this last point would be my major concern, if it has suddenly developed then Chester should be prepared to investigate why and repair/supply spares as necessary. If it has been doing it all the time then they (Chester) should know enough about the design of the items they sell to explain that. I am guilty of assuming again but if they said they didn't have any seals I would guess that the machine is fitted with some but again that assumes that Chester are aware enough of the design of the machine to know.

I suppose my main gripe would be Chester's quoted (and yes we have only heard one side of the story) response to a problem. I'm still daft enough to hope when I buy something that if I have a problem with it the seller would at least be sympathetic and try to help. Living in Cuckoo land I suppose.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

When I buy new tools at very low prices, I generally am surprised at how good they turn out to be for the cost. I generally won't buy an "import" tool without a firsthand look either, with a cynical eye to whether the tool will do what I need it to.

I tend to look first at the import stuff when I am after a tool that I probably will not use often, or when I am facing a one time job.

The Chinese lathes in particular are a pretty tough sell for me. They look really poor in comparison to the likes of a used Myford at similar cost, but when you compare new to new, they start to look much more a deal, as poor as they may be. At 10% of the new cost of a Myford, I feel they represent a value, as poor as they may be.

I have been consistantly pleased with the hardened and ground goods that I have bought (taper adapters, dead centers), while I have yet to find a Chinese or Indian drill bit that looked worth the effort of carting home. I have not bought any of the Chinese measuring tools (micrometers, calipers) but know many that own them. While they are a bit rough in the finish and definately do not have the hand feel of top line goods, they are cheap enough to be almost disposable, and they pass calibration time and again.

It depends a fair bit on knowledge and expectations. With eyes wide open and a cynical look at potential purchases, there are some bargains out there. There are also a lot of "tools" that are not worth the fuel it would cost to haul them back out to sea.

I find more dissapointment when I discover that yet another good old name in tools has started sticking their name on shoddy imported goods in an effort to compete on price. It is rapidly getting to the point where it is actually difficult to find certain tools in quality, at any price.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

One of our Colchesters, the 2500, is less than a year old. The other, a 3250, less than 3 years. They weep a bit of oil, but work very well, thanks. The other machines range from many years, to older than me.:-)

It sounded to me that the problem is not of a show stopping nature. It may in fact be a result of some user maintenence that has been done incorrectly, or not been done, or it may be just the way the machine is going to be for the rest of it's working life.

If the original poster feels that the problem is worth pursuing, he can probably make a case in his favour, if not, it's time to do what can be done to fix or live with the issue.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I thought you were going to say pressed steel primary chain cases on motor cycles :-)

Jim.

Reply to
jim

Nothing to do with the quality,I knew what I was buying.

It was the way Chester made a mess of it before it was delivered,jus minor irritations like the pyramids of cast iron dust on the ways wher they hadn't even bothered to cover them up when they drilled and tappe for the DRO,the fact that they'd fitted the 3 phase motor and the belt didn't line up so there was no way to run the machine,and a lot of othe problems that Chester caused.

They turned a useable machine into a POS.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

I think the attitude is that they're in it to make a living and have chosen to sell cheap Chinese crap to people who will only pay for that, as a result they can't afford to provide more than is legally required which is a return to base warranty for a year that excludes consumables and fair wear and tear. Of course what's fair is debatable, but what other DIY grade power tool comes with any more than this?.

I find it quite amazing that people buy cheap stuff and expect it to be in the same league as an industrial grade tool, if you buy a cheap own brand of pistol drill from a DIY shed do you expect it to last the way a trade quality tool at 4 times the price would last?, from some of the posts here apparently yes 8-).

Unfortunately I know people with Warco's who recount experiences not unlike the one that started this thread, though maybe they've changed a bit since then I don't know. I'm sure attitudes vary and it's good to share them to help inform our buying, but I doubt Warco would do more than send out a pair of oil seals in this case, though if it were mine I would rather find a better quality seal than waste my time fitting the same crap ones only to have to do it all again in another year's time!.

The bottom line is that if you pay DIY prices you should expect DIY performance and durability, anything more is deluding yourself that you're buying something better.

Anyway, I think we've done this to death, personally I choose to buy second hand machines of far better build quality but at far lower cost than even Chinese imports, one of the flood of ex school machines is a far better buy in my book, it won't look as pretty but machines are there to work not drool over 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

In that case you should have rejected it, you have a very good case if you reject goods as unfit for purpose when they arrive, but no case at all if you accept them and then complain a year later. I buy everything on credit card for this very reason, if you reject it and notify the card company then you're in a good position because it's their money not yours and they will take the issue up if you haven't received merchantable goods.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Replace "won't" with "can't" :) Many people who would like to get their own machines simply can't afford the prices of even second hand machines. My own 3 in 1 leaves a lot to be desired, but does the job - with some help. If the suppliers don't want to take responsibility for goods they supply, then perhaps they need to get out of the business ;)

Reply to
Lester Caine

Reply to
pete

Reply to
pete

Well done Pete glad to hear that they are going to sort the problem out for you. Make sure you let us know the outcome as we like to share good news as well as actively discuss (!) problems. Good luck.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

So they DO follow this newsgroup then ! About time they listened to their customers - perhaps they'd like to chip in at this point and say hello???????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I think both Roger Warren and Ketan Swali would take offence at your crude generalisations. I have equipment from both companies and neither appear to me to be in business to "sell cheap Chinese crap". The design and manufacture of my chinese lathe is far superior to the Machine Mart chinese lathe of 10 years ago and what the price has dictated isn't that I have to accept "crap" but limited functionality - no clutch, no back gear, no screw cutting gear box, no power cross feed (if thats what its called). Neither company has compromised on customer service either.

Bets Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

If you care to read my first post you'll see that I did send it bac for a refund.

Also as an aside to this,I did contact Trading Standards and from wha I recall Chesters warranty restrictions only apply to busines customers and not to hobbyist type customers,I think it was somethin along the lines that a private individual is still classed as consumer and covered by the consumers act.

I didn't pursue it any further at the time and decided that Chester weren't worth any more of my time and certainly not any of my money.

I might also add that Chesters never at any time returned any phon calls.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

Ah, the Royal Oilfield - map read on the way out and follow the oil slick on the way back. I think my parents old house still has the contaminated ground signs around it after owning several of those. Having a total loss lubrication system did eliminate the need to do oil changes though.

Reply to
Peter Parry