Dore-Westbury

What is a ball-park price for a Dore-Westbury?

The seller has suggested £1000, but this seems to be high to me

Reply to
Anonymous.

£450 would seem to be nearer the mark but it's always difficult to tell without seeing tha machine

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

In article , Anonymous. writes

I looked at the Dore Westbury in the 1980s but concluded it was limited and insubstantial, and bought something else.

There are now many better things you can get for £1000. Several of the regular second hand dealers have some decent looking mills for under £1000, and Warco have some new ones within this limit that look as if they would kick a DW into the middle of next week.

A note of caution, this is not based on any experience of using a DW; others who have used it may be more positive.

In summary, £1000 is IMO at least twice what the DW is worth (unless there is a shed-load of extras).

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Having sat on most of a complete set of castings for several years now, I would say that £1000 is twice as much as a perfectly made, exhibition quality, one is worth.

If you really want one but don't want to spend that much, you can have my castings and drawings for £100 (half what I paid for them), then make one up for yourself.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Now that is a good offer -not that I need it myself. All you need is a 3.5" lathe and drill to make it as I recall.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

....plus a ball turning attachment (for the thousand bloody handles)and the prospect of unlimited workshop time for the five years it will probably take you to make it!

--

Chris Edwards

No Chris that's the Quorn cutter grinder, the DW is quite straight forward. It was a good machine in it's day and gave a lot of people a hand up [ me included ] but time moves on and we now have decent imports that can better the DW both on cost and quality.

I bought and made a fair bit of stuff in the early days from MES who did the DW. A vise, boring head, rotary table, all items that in those days you would have to kill for but nowdays the castings probably exceed the cost of some finished items.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Nah, That's the Quorn. I've also got a set of castings for that seasoning, but I _will_ be using them :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I've heard that before....

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Can you play the violin as well ?

Reply to
John Stevenson

Don't have the room for a 1310. I can do lathe tools and milling cutter ends on the 1400. I suppose I could do more drills on the bench grinder. There do seem to be a few things that need a bit more elegance though .

Watching the CNC tool and cutter grinder they got a few months ago at work is a bit like the "2001 a space odyssey" Blue Danube scene on speed :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Just testing! --