Heck, now what have I done ! TRAUB TND 350G

I've been casting around for a CNC lathe a bit bigger and better equipped than the Eagland Chipturn that I've recently rebuilt and I stubbed my toe on a Traub TND 350G with a dead Mitsubishi TX8F control. Weighing in at 4055 kgs with I believe an 18Kw main spindle, an auxillary spindle of similar power, a 12 position tool post, and even a 'C' axis on the main spindle it's quite a monster! I thought I might try replacing the controller with a LinuxCNC box, but I'll have a go first at repairing the TX8F as it seems a very capable control, if a bit obscure when it comes to finding information.

It only just squeezed into the space left in my workshop, but there is room to work round it and the loo door ALMOST fully opens

If anyone knows these machines or especially the Mitsubishi controller I'd be keen to hear from you

A few pictures for your amusement

Andrew Mawson

can't see any pictures there, maybe you have to be a member and logged in.

Mitsu controls can be a real pain, I've been through a few now. They can be very proprietry and not follow normal cnc practices. For example many of their controls have the drives on a bus very much like SCSII with a terminator at the end.

So no 0-10v velocity control like 99% of other controls.

My Leadwell VMC had a Mitsu control with a spindle drive down and pulling the whole bus down with it. In the end it was cheaper to rip it all out and throw it away and install a Mach3 system in it. Been running for years now with Mach3.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

...ah yes it seems you need to be logged in to the madmodder forum to see the pictures. Well worth logging in though, interesting stuff there and a few people known to this newsgroup!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

As I expected, the drives are as I described earlier.

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Definitely Epsom (beyond Barking) ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Tony Jeffree writes

Wrong side of town - did you mean Epping?

(Actually I think Dagenham works better, it's on the same line.)

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Hi Tony, I thought that you must be the Tony_J on madmodder!

It's only an iky bitty lathe thingy

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson