Unsolicited email

As a requirement of the subscription with the University Of Berlin, I am required to publish a valid email address with all posts, and this I do.

However, all unsolicited emails to that address are unconditionally deleted without being read.

Only emails bearing the pre-agreed security code in the title are downloaded from lycos. All the rest are deleted at the server.

(So whoever is sending me regular emails every half hour or so with malicious attachments of either 153kB or 141 kB is wasting their time. Mr.Stephenson's email with a 5MB attachment (malicious, or what!?) which has been sent twice was binned in both cases)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I sent you an email this morning about a fake bidder on ebay using your call...I take it you did not read it? jim gm4dhj.....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

This post has aroused my curiosity. As any attempt to use the E-Mail will result in my post being dumped unread I have used the group to ask the following questions.

How do you subscribe to a University ?

What is the Universetie's definition of a valid address ?

How does the University police it's requirement ?

Is the code singular, or do you give a unique code to each person ?

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Correct - I did not even download it. In fact, it was your email of this morning that precipitated my remark.

I have never used ebay; I have never even looked at their web-site. Any form of commercial transaction using the Internet is a no-no, because even if you think you're using some form of secure protocol, all the transactions to set up that protocol are passing through the same doubtful computer systems. (An average of 32 hops, ISTR, for each Web access)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I suggest that if you have evidence of fraud that you contact ebay yourself or your local plods. Don't contact my local plods; they take every opportunity to s**te over all those with whom they come into contact, hence their nickname, "The We'll Shite Constabulary".

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

No smoke without fire!

HTH tox

Reply to
tox

Hi Jonathan, go to

by the University Of Berlin) This news server has been in use for years & has the reputation of one of the best there is. No charges, seldom breaks down & doesn't give your address to anyone. I highly recommend it!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

OK have cancelled bids and blocked the bloke using your callsign...thanks jim gm4dhj

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in news:bttt43$b4as5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217727.news.uni-berlin.de:

Interesting post.

I presume that Gareth is aware that most ISP's require as a condition of their service that certain emails are read (like emails to 'postmaster' on a proper system), and as most of these emails are either from a 'bot' or from a list generator, it is unlikely that this condition is being met if what he said is true.

Of course, even if he only downloads 'coded' emails, I am certain that an attack by a few determined folk, or even one with a decent amount of bandwidth, could cause his mailbox to overflow and attempts to regularly empty it would effectively block his uplink to his ISP. I believe that Lycos only allow 10MB of mail space and will not accept emails > 5MB.

Not that I would do such a thing (seriously!).

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

The CBer reveals herself every time that she incites criminal behaviour.....

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Gareth old bean. The 5 meg attachment weren't malicious at all they were install copies of Art Fenarties windows based CNC program, Mach2, you know thee one you say can't run. I just thought you would be interested in it. Failing that if you don't want it sending via email do you want me to burn it onto a CD, tie it onto a brick and lob it thru your front window ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

So where was the incitment to criminal behaviour? It certainly doen't show in the part you have quoted so how can you imply criminal behaviour without proof?

Oh. I forgot it is you!!!!!!!

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Or "No s**te without stink" ... as the case may be. ;-)

73 de G3NYY
Reply to
Walt Davidson

Well, when the current complaint that I've made against them has been dealt with, I'll describe to you their appalling behaviour giving rise to the complaint.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

As you know from the Berlin News web site, an acceptable alternative is to use snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net - which in fact you were using immediately prior to appearing from your Berlin News account. Only you know why you stopped using this latter address and chose the one you currently show in your (secret?) headers. Might one speculate that you have done this in order to bring about the current situation? That is, a reason to have yet another whinge about something? After all, it's some time since The Case Of The Fettled Casting; or the 'malicious' 'port scanning', isn't it?

Reply to
RVMJ 99g

Indeed, Walt, Indeed...

Regards tox

Reply to
tox

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in news:bttt43$b4as5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217727.news.uni-berlin.de:

Welcome, Gareth, to the wonderful world of usenet spam - surely a seasoned usenet contributor, such as yourself, would know all about it?

Then again - this is probably the first time in ages you've had a valid email address? Maybe you can try a real name soon too?

Reply to
Leigh

Nothing to do with your self centred, foolish behaviour then?

Reply to
huLLy

hmmm? from faq,

May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get SPAM? No. We recommend to get an account with a free e-mail provider (such as GMX, Yahoo, Hotmail, Bigfoot...) and to not read mails that go to that address at all, only sporadically or in combination with suitable filter mechanisms. This has the same effect, but does not violate the netiquette, our policy or other guidelines. Another way is the usage of " snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net". The owner of privacy.net has given his permission to use that address for SPAM protection purposes.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Neil Ellwood wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com:

Thanks for that Neil, you took the very words from my mouth!

Of course, I was pointing out to Hairy what could happen to him if he keeps inviting folk to hassle or even hack him. I thing he must be the electronic equivalent of a flagellist.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the effort to attack his system - even if I was prone to doing such, which I am not. The only systems that I attack are those that I have a responsibility for.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff