Unsolicited email

A network comprising:

Two machines withAL440LX Motherboards running Pentium II at 233 MHz, each with a 10MHz NIC. One machine is an Olivetti Laptop (model 510) with a 333MHz Celeron. It has a PCMCIA 10/100MHz NIC. The hub/router is an "MRi" ADSL modem.

Is a pretty naff system, is it not Geoff, even ignoring the 5 machines which are not running Microsoft products at all (and not all LINUX/UNIX)

Especially, as according to the network owner, " the inter-working problem likely to be caused by buffer overflows because of the 100MHz card swamping the 10 MHz cards" (I assume this is down to the use of too much "Big K". If you can avoid the use of "Big K" you can mix

10 and 100MHz NICs readily.)

Note: chez nous, even the M3s have at least 450MHz uPs and the 2E a

1700MHz.

Never mind, the network owner has "boned up" on this topic now (he claims to be softy of 30 years experience primarily in embedded/real-Time (note: not safety critical systems) , with some PC experience, but didn't have time to bone up on this area, which wasn't his field). So much so he is offering technical advice on microsoft.public.win98.networking . Can it belong before he assumes the title of "Most Valuable Professional ", or one of the MS certification certificates, as he assumes other things.

73

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

If they're deleted at the server without being read, how would you know they're malicious?

"A fool and his credibility are easily parted"

Reply to
F1LBY

That's what I said. And Mr Bean was using " snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net" before going over to the Berlin News Server. Only he knows why his new system is better.

Reply to
RVMJ 99g

Based on recent postings, Mr Bean gives the impresson of any similar new thing being 'malicious'. It must be his new favourite word to replace 'disambiguate'.

Reply to
RVMJ 99g

But look on the bright side, he gives us all a good laugh.

Sort of rounded off today nicely- just had it confirmed that a long term project is complete (on schedule) and monies are ready to be credited to my bank account. Now, what will it be...................

Reply to
Brian Reay

Of course not, he has to get someone to tell what to complain about next.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

"Brian Reay" wrote in news:btuq2e$bnfdj$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-140397.news.uni-berlin.de:

Hmm, I suspect that the "buffer overflows" have more to do with the macerator than the hub, considering what is fed through it. At the day job we have to clean the macerators out every year or so, but I suspect the amount of "cr*p" throughput is miniscule compared to that of the Chippenham location.

Regarding the "Big K", this could cause a macerator overflow - or is that "Special K" which is the down-market version.

Of course, an overload in the macerator could produce a real-time problem in a safety critical system - as described in "A shower of sh*t over Cheshire", so aptly intoned by Blaster Bates - should "the shower" have been "over Wiltshire?"

I do suppose that it seems like 30 years since Win98 was released on an unsuspecting public

Interestingly, I too can offer some advice to those suffering in "microsoft.public.win98.networking". Go somewhere else, use different software and leave him to his own private cesspit, which co-incidentally, is where our macerators route to as well!

:-)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Of course he is - it's a kind of bean, innit? :-)

Reply to
Richard Kaulfuss

With respect, I think you have that wrong. "Big K" doesn't cause macerator overflow, it results from macerator overflow.

Well, this macerator certainly seems to have a problem with safety critical systems.

Oh, I'm sure Gareth will sort them out, after all, he is a "softy of 30 years experience" .

He uses the following in his station (not sure if that is railway or radio, given his 'history'): Microcode, Machine code, Assembler,Fortran, Pascal, RTL/2, PL/M-86, PL/M-51, Delphi, C, C++, Visual C, Visual C++, Basic, Visual Basic, CORAL, HTML, JavaScript.

Of course, all the software in use in his station, including the operating systems, was written by him. He will even sell you a single-user single-installation licence for £1750 plus VAT. Before you buy, I'd check if the OS has network support, that seems to be a bit of a weak area. Having said that, if its API supports all those compilers it must be a work of wonderment. Bill Gates eat your heart out.

I'm sure he can explain the anomalies in the above, including: Coral is mainly used in defence projects, none of the above have certified compilers or assemblers, as you would expect to use in a safety critical system, no mention of certified OSs, most of the above being implemented in software written by other people, and not to mention the VAT question.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The CBer reveals herself every time that she resorts to rather silly infantile tirades.....

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I only sent the email to let you know your call sign was being used on ebay...and look what happens......

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

As you are one of the few people in the NG whom I respect (but don't always agree with!), I thought it'd be courteous to acknowledge the message even though I didn't read it.

If there are those who wish to claim that they are me - what better compliment can they pay?!

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

John made an offer that few could resist .........

........ but John, what is lunch in inverted commas? :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

"jim.gm4dhj" wrote in news:UVRMb.4328$oY3.105786 @newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:

Remind me Jim, if you would, who was it who previously usurped G8ASO's callsign, and started sending anonymous and abusive emails to anybody who complained or was it anybody in sight...

This is the guy who complains that other folk are abusing him by sending a single email that warns him of a possible fraud.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Blimey, Jim, looks like you've pulled here. Hard luck mate.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

"Geoff" > Remind me Jim, if you would, who was it who previously usurped G8ASO's

Don't know anything about that.............

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

BONA !

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Hoy! Get in line would you, form an orderly queue.

John.LloydUNSPAM

Ah, well, if that's the case we'll bring the heavies along as well... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes