Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Colchester Lathe forum
The Yahoo Groups Colchester lathe forum was quite busy until a couple or so years ago, but more recently the Yahoo groups seem broken and posts have dried up. Can anyone recommend a forum for this...
5
5

EXE surface grinder
I acquired an EXE surface grinder last year and am looking to get it up and running soon but I don't have any information about mounting the grinding wheel or the procedure and tools for removing the...
7
7

Slow induction motor
I have an old Clarke motor (1/5 HP, 0.15 KW, 240 v, 1.8 A, 1400 rpm, type 5DB, single phase according to the rating plate,) that only runs at 400 rpm whether loaded or unloaded. I am looking for...
9
9

Belt drive to Lathe Spindle
I have a Denford Viceroy lathe. For those not aware this lathe has a link-belt drive from the countershaft then gearing for full speed and back gear. All of the gears are in mesh and running whilst in...
2
2

Shower hoses
1/2" BSP is SBO, and tap / die set supplied by Tracy Tools by return. Unhesitatingly recommend them.

motor question
My new Boxford has a three-phase motor, rated 380V in star mode and 220V in mesh mode. I don't have 3 phase, so do I: a) buy a new single-phase motor or b) buy an inverter. Can I use an inverter from...
10
10

Shower head screw thread?
What is the screw thread used in shower hoses, for, having got my knickers in a twist and over-ordered, it would be useful to string together the 21 feet (total! :-) ) to make a garden hose?
1
1

boxford - remove bed
I need to remove the bed of my new boxford AUD- any suggestions? I got the bolts out, but there is some sealant stuff which is very hardened! Tip - for the inside headstock bolt, cut the end off a...
1
1

London ME exhibition
is this weekend. Any good? Anybody going? Peter Fairbrother
1
1

Robot Wars?
Just watching the New Year's Eve Robot Wars program, I wonder how feasible would it be to for us as a discussion group to design and enter a robot? eg, Peter Fairbrother seems to be an expert on hard...
5
5

Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)
A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year to all my readership. And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ... ... Nadolig LLawen!
56
56

Bargain at B & Q
Now , I know that we've all got hexagonal screwdriver inserts coming out of our ears, however ... masonry drills, wood cutting drills, ordinary (!!) drills, wood-cutting bits, and some of those pesky...
9
9

metric/imperial question
Do people work in metric, imperial, both? I work almost exclusively in metric, only buying imperial when really really needed - eg one tap or die for a special job - but what do other people use?...
9
9

Auction of Railwayana
Full-size stuff, but might be of interest to somebody.

Surface grinder question
How do surface grinders move the wheel (or table?) to give micron positioning diferences? I would have thought that a straight thread wouldn't work. Is there some other secret? Ta Peter Fairbrother
4
4