PTC License Manager - No Maintenance

Hello,

I am hoping we can get some help here with our license manager problem. We currently have a system that is about to fail, hardware wise, and our desperately trying to move our license server to a Virtual Machine. Unfortunately, the problem we are having is related to the feature not found error 127.

After many, many attempts my counter part at work believes this to be a port issue related to the old system. I have searched the web and the forums, and cannot find out how you deactivate the existing license server? Is it as simple as shutting the system down or is there some process to deactivating the existing license server?

This is realistically an hours worth of work on PTC's part, but they wish to charge us for a week at $2,000.00. In the past we have had to get our reseller to recreate the license file, because PTC and a couple of other vendors have a problem with their license generating software.

Last resort will be to go to the vendor, but I am tryng to get a resolution by this morning for our problem.

Thank you David

Reply to
D Reid

, Wow, you sound like a gambler, chanting his old mantra THIS TIME IT'LL BE DIFFERENT. But, sadly, license management, such as you're requesting, is a function of the dreaded, onerous, useless and oppressive MAINTENANCE contract. And, like all insurance policies (maintenance contracts), this one is most useless and excessively extravagant (until there's an emergency, i.e, until you really need one!)

I'm sure this reply is too little too late as your message inconveniently left off the send date. BTW, I've been out of touch for a couple weeks. Lots has escaped my attention. I'm just starting to catch up.

My advice!?! Do what people all over the world do who want to make money with Pro/e software. GET MAINTENANCE & SUPPORT!!! Christ, I can't even imagine being in business and flinching over 2 Gs. More of that silly, cheapass gamblers' psychology.

BTW, you were correct in your assessment that this is a relatively simple problem requiring only a few minutes of time (ordinarily, with maintenance/support). You would go to this site and reconfigure your license:

to the new server or give them a new MAC address and you're pretty much done. I'm not 100% sure but this might be something you could do from PTC/SETUP, with the maintenance contract, naturally.

David Janes

Reply to
janes

Any chance you could pull along the old network card to the new server and keep the server network name the same?

As for shutting it down, IIRC there is an applet on the windows control panel that allows you to shut down and start up the server. If you run it as a service in windows you can shut/start the service itself.

I don't know if virtual servers work the way you want them to. It could be a bit complicated and/or undocumented due to the ease with which licenses could be duplicated illegally.

(yet another) David

Reply to
David Geesaman