good place to find servo cable?

Hi all -

What's everyone's favorite site for getting 3-conductor (red-blk-yel), stranded, 22 or 24 gauge servo cable?

I've tried DigiKey (unsuccessfully), Jameco (somewhat successfully, although their order system was screwed-up and the part was not in stock), and Google searches. I did manage to find a place selling it for $0.50/foot (which seems a little high) for 22 gauge. It was at

Has anyone had a good interaction with a vendor for servo cable?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What I have had the best luck with is buying rolls of 22 gauge red, black and yellow wire and then twisting it together with a power drill as needed. It's a bunch cheaper than the ribbon cable and probably better for noise immunity than the ribbon cable. The only gotcha is don't twist it too tight or you can break the wire.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

For long runs I use three of the four conductors in common cat3 phone wire. For something more flexble you might strip three wire sections from flat multi strand ribbon cable. You can mark the ends of the ribbon cble conductors with a magic marker.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

MetalHead wrote in news:b%eyf.782$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

I don't know where you live, but have you ever looked at a schools dumpster, university or college? Are there industrial companies around that you can see what is being thrown away? I picked out one time five printer cables from a dumpster, two still in the plastic bag, all six feet long. Strip them apart and I got plenty of stranded 28 gauge wire. I went to electronic goldmine and bought the five pak five pin female header, cut off two pins and I had plenty of servos connectors. Someone trash is your treasure.

If the 28 gauge is too small, so wind two wires together to make one wire. It costs you nothing anyway, what have got to loose?

Reply to
Gekko

MetalHead wrote in news:b%eyf.782$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

2 PAIR, 22 AWG SHIELD PLENUM CABLE

0.60 / foot

9Pair#22 18 Conductors

Hookup Wire: 22 Gauge Stranded Wire, all kinds of colors

Forget about the exact color code because you can always use colored shrink tube to make your red, black and yellow wires.

Reply to
nowhere

We used to live in the Bay Area and this would have been a totally viable approach.

We moved to Idaho some years back, though, and unfortunately the people in Idaho think the only use for wire is electric fences and jumper cables :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for the links... I'll check them out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Try:

They have flat & twisted servo wire in 10' lengths, as well as connectors.

JM

Reply to
res0644m

FWIW, "Dumpster diving" isn't really legal (at least in Calif) unless the bin is on public property -- a public street or something. This is almost never the case with the larger Dumpsters, and even if something is thrown away, because the bin is on private property you're effectively tresspassing. Now, we've all done it, but if you get caught and the property owner takes a dislike to you,it could lead to a bad scene.

About a year ago a company in the Bay Area pressed charges when employees of the company raided the Dumpster for selling stuff on eBay. At first they thought the employees were stealing inventory by tossing it out into the trash, then collecting it after hours. Turned out it was only junk meant for the trash, but they got fired anyway and had some fine imposed against 'em.

Sometimes if you ask they'll give you permission to dive, but companies these days worry about liability. What if you cut your hand on something sharp at the bottom of the bin.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Reply to