inexpensive color VR goggles (composite TV or VGA input) ?

I'm seeking a pair of color VR goggles with separate inputs for each eye, either composite video (the yellow RCA plug on a VCR) or VGA (640x480 is fine). (It would have to be separate inputs, shutter glasses won't do)

Does anyone know if anything like this on the market and affordable (preferably only a couple hundred dollars), or know of a good DIY design on the Web (I had contemplated using the viewfinders from a couple of old camcorders for the purpose but had no documentation on the wiring, and don't really know electronics, plus the viewfinders were b/w, and I need color). I had even thought about taking a couple TVs and attaching some kind of mirrors to them, periscope style, and fashioning some goggles that way.

Any help appreciated...

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

Looks like you want the same set-up I want. I considered all the options you mention above to build VR goggles with a seperate input for each eye, and seperate composite video input for each eye.

My current solution is the following. I have a VFX1 virtual reality helmet. (but resolution is low, 181,470 pixels per LCD/eye, 256 colors)

advantage of the VFX1 is that its left and right LCD are completely seperate systems, each accepting its own input signals.

For each eye input, this page describes how to connect what signal to the VFX1 LCDs.

VFX1 can accept RGB color+Horizontal+Vertical sync signals, for each LCD/eye.

Now I only need to build some electronics to accept a composite video signal, and split this signal into RGB, H and V sync. These seperation electronics can be found in any discarded TV. TV's internal electronics split the composite signal that comes out of the tuner into RGB and sync for the screen's color-cannons and H & V deflection. So its only a matter of stripping some old TVs. Offcourse I need two of these circuits, one for each eye.

Combine two Composite to RGB+sync splitters with the VFX1, do a little level adjusting where required, connect it like shown on the second web page (but keep the LCDs seperated), and it should work. (Thats my theory anyway, but I have not had time to build it yet.)

Reply to
Ray

When I was doing research on Augmented reality equipment I found this site - never went further though with costing.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I forgot. Search for ' I-VISOR DH-4400VPD 3D '. Dual composite input, dual RGB input.

1.44 Mpixels per eye. But prolly not cheap.
Reply to
Ray