Any contest for LDRS?

Closest to the pad combined with maximum altitude for 10 lb rockets is a bad plan. A landing "target" other than one close to the pad is a really bad plan. One option in the same weight class as the bowling balls would be a gallon of milk. This payload would present a different set of aerodynamic and recovery challenges, not to mention being easier to find than a 8lb urethane sphere.

Given the lower waiver, target altitude, closest to but, below 5280 feet AGL, or odrocs, tallest or fattest in a motor class, might be ways to go.

Most of the contests at LDRS22 were staged by and for First TV. The usual contest seems to be who had the "coolest" flight with the prize being bragging rights.

As far as organizing any contests, that will have to be done by somebody other than the hosts, they already have way too much to do.

Reply to
Eric Pederson

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I am just afraid some bozo is going to get the bright idea to put a hybrid ignition system hooked to the water and fry my ass.

Remember, you can only do that once! Dunking can last for weeks if demand warrants :)

And any monies raised from such a wacko deal goes to the legal fund.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hey Phil, we could call it the Punk and Dunk tank..(;-)

Fred

Phil Ste> Maybe we could work it in with Jerry dunk tank.

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Curtis Personally, I like the idea of this one and thanks for the offer of the prize! Two things, though........First, you would probably have to be the judge, as you do some pretty good work yourself and would recognize a good job. And secondly.......Ed Miller wouldn't be allowed to compete as he'd certainly win first prize:-)!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary LDRS LD/RSO Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Rich Now this one I REALLY like! Let's see.........Big Bertha, Cobra, Shadow, Big Daddy, Hustler. Any limitations on to how may times up scale?

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

Jerry Sounds perfect for a Tuesday EX Launch:-)! Dunking for 5 days.......launch on the 6th. Covers all the bases:-).

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

perhaps if the check-in did a first cut elimination/qualification round, the judges decide the winner (they need to see all the rockets side by side IMO to judge well)

then also have a 'peoples choice' from the finalists, for a second award

just my $0.020000001

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

here's an idea ...

Jerry has to where spandex for the dunk tank

Ray will take pics and we'll get someone to print them on a inkjet iron-on transfer sheet, make teeshirts, have Jerry sign them, and auction them off with the proceeds going to fund a rockets-for-schools/scouts program

got a digital camera Ray?

whayada think?

my son got some nice pics at his Karate competition from someone wih a digital camera, a laptop with photshop, and a dye sublimation printer. Way cool to have at-the-action pics.

- iz

Phil Ste> Throw bowling balls at the dunk tank?

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

may I suggest a 2 liter Pepsi as an alternative. I can just see that milk souring on the field ... :(

the 2 liter bottle has a better profile for a payload, IMO

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Are you kidding?! It's LDRS! You get bonus points for each multiple!

steve

Reply to
default

Or we could fund a rocketry class for Congresscritters.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

Make it Mountain Dew. It'll be a "Flew the Dew" contest.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

Lloyd:

I hate to agree with Mike ; but there were a few contests at LDRS. I thought the "How Low Can You Go" contest where Ky flew the outhouse was cool.

Just because its a contest ; doesn't mean it can't be cool.

Al

Reply to
Al Sterner

Hey! No worries, have paint gun...will travel. ;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Does that program use exclusively USR kits and motors DELIVERED to a non-NFPA state?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There are PLENTY of USR motors in DC already. Let's rock!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Let's roll!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yeah - that's all Pepsi is good for but, I might be willing to drink it if they came up with some sponsorship $$$.

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein