Apogee Saturn V

Finally, after a couple years looking at the box, I've started work on my Apogee Saturn V. I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few weeks digging through web resources looking for tips and advice, and thought I'd run a couple questions by this group ...

  1. If you've put an Apogee SV together, what sort of problems did you run into? I'm especially concerned about gluing the wraps without melting them ... any specific brand of CA seem to work better than others for this? Or has someone invented a better technique than either the CA or the double-sided tape?

  1. I'm planning to upgrade the base heatshield with a laser-cut parts and add some detail to the engines. Anyone else interested in the heatshield parts, provided they can be produced at reasonable cost? And how much is reasonable? For that matter, a "fine-scale" upgrade kit could probably be produced for the whole model with hatch covers, quick disconnects, etc. either laser cut or photo-etched. Any interest in such a kit, perhaps as a "retrofit" that could be added to an existing, built-up model? Again, how much would modelers be willing to pay?

  2. What engines have you flown this thing on, and what was your flight experience?

TIA for any help or suggestions!

- tw

Remove the zeros for e-mail replies

Reply to
Tim Wilson

snip

Tim, try a search on Nick's site:

Randy

<randyolb

Better question. What motor do you wish you had? Total impulse Burn time Thrust curve shape?

I think an upgrade kit is a GREAT idea so long as you do not mind taking three years to sell a few.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I am starting to think that contact cement is ideal for wraps. I used it on my Merc Atlas with no problems. The spray adhesives seemed like a "lite" version of contact cement.

Contact cement! But you have to be right on!

Reply to
Greg Cisko

I've used this and it works, with the usual caveats, and if you are

*careful*. Next time I'm going to try RC 56 "canopy glue". Looks like Elmers glue-all, but it hold plastic to balsa remarkably well.

If I was going to use CA, I would use odorless.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck