Asking Your Opinion

I'm not sure how many people on here currently shop with us at Countdown Hobbies, but its been over 6 months now since I bought the
store and I am starting to make more and more changes to make sure everything works better basically.
The previous owner used to give out something called Bonus Bucks. ( we still do too ) Basically if you spend $100 on most rocketry items you get 10 Bonus Bucks. Its like a 10% cash back to our store. I am debating getting rid of these and just discounting the 10% off the top to compete with some other smaller places that seem to give better deals, but in reality they don't.
Also we now have a nice Point of Sale system that can give out customer number along with the cards we made. So we can keep track of sales and send you even more special deals.
So heres the question...
Bonus Bucks or A running Discount
Thanks for any input
Bruce Jones Countdown Hobbies snipped-for-privacy@countdownhobbies.com www.countdownhobbies.com
Countdown Hobbies wrote:

Just remember...that quality service is of far more importance than "good deals". Far too many hobby shops go under, because the proprietors fail to run it as a business...instead, making it a "hang out" for all their hobby buddies, and giving them "deals". We have a hobby shop here in Austin, that for 30+ years, has been considered one of the finest shops in the nation. They have expanded a half dozen times since their beginnings; even in eras when the hobby was declining. And they have *never* run "sales" or "specials". Instead, they run the shop as professionals, always well stocked, well organized, and the staff is very professional....whereas many hobby shops end up looking like "Joe's Model Collection and Bargain Bin". You also mentioned a modern point-of-sale system. Another good idea. The aforementioned Austin hobby shop had a scanning point-of-sale system *years* before they started showing up in the big grocery stores.
--

Greg Heilers
Countdown Hobbies wrote:

I've not bought from you, but then, I've not bought a lot that's rocketry related in the past six months. I did, however, buy from the previous owner at least once, and was pleased with the service.
To me, a FAIR price and how you treat your customers is more important than a cheap price or constant deals. I'd rather pay more for someone who treats their customers well.
In my experience, people who have a reputation problem with customer service typically have it for a reason. Take care of your customers and you'll do well. I limit who I buy from, and tend to direct my business (and my recommendations) to the people who I know I'll be happy with.
Does that mean I expect perfection all the time? No. Stuff happens. The key, to me, is how you respond when something goes awry. To give you a hint, blaming someone else or making excuses doesn't score points with me. I'm not saying you've ever done that; I don't know if you have or not. I'm just telling you how to stay on my "good" side.
-Kevin
I would rather you have in stock what you say you do or at least instantly let us the consumer know when items are out of stock. I have ordered from others in the past and have been very dissapointed as what I ordered was out of stock when the package came. I received all the extra items to go with that special item but not the base item so the other stuff did me little good at that time. Price it fair so you can stay in business and give the customer the service they deserve and all will be good by me. Just my two scheckles worth.

Great to hear everyones advice/opinion, but just remember we already give you the dicount with the bonus bucks I am just thinking of changing it to a discount on the spot, basically becuase the Bonus Bucks seem to not be working in my eyes. I really just wanted to make sure that taking the Bonus Bucks away wouldnt cause a problem becuase we do take pride in having the best service possible.
Thanks everyone By the way we will most likely be getting rid of Bonus Bucks and switching the discount to an upfront one so keep your eyes peeled to our online store or feel free to give me a call.
Bruce Jones Countdownhobbies.com 203-790-9010
I bought from Countdown several times in the past. I think I have some Bonus Bucks lying here around somewhere. To be honest, I'd rather just get a good deal up front and not be 'obligated' down the road.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

Good move.