CompuServe Sport Rocketry Forum closing 9/30/03

That makes you a geek and a dweeb :)

I got one to puvblish a rocketry magazine and much later to download software from a remote server. Much later email, ftp, usenet, then the internet.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yuppers, model III.

Ted 'learned to program on the Timex/Sinclair circa 1979' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Doug,

Sorry to hear that this forum is being lost in the shuffle that seems to have become compuserve since the switch to the Internet.

Being a long serving Sysop on FidoNet (fight-O-net :-) and having like other here watched his daily budget eaten up by Fujitsu and Compuserve charges (I recall it ran to about $38/Hour.. Forums such as yours and the FSForum were places I enjoyed.. (although the BAR didnt kick-in until later)

My fondest memory was of one of the FS Flyins I had my Macintosh in the forum, with my PC performing a real-time flight from Melbourne to Washington DC, landing on RWY 18 a National..

Long before the Internet, Online Games Sysops such as yourself created magic places where we explored our dreams and made a few of them come true. Thanks for your efforts I am sure you have influenced many in a positive way.

Regards

David Wilkins

Reply to
David Wilkins

Doug,

sorry to hear! The ModelNet (later Sport Rocketry Forum) had a large influence on my life at this time. It was the reason to to buy my first modem around ´92/93, go online, joined CompuServe...

Later, in 1994, I got a job at CompuServe Germany and was working for almost 4 years at this company. It even took me to strange places like Columbus, Ohio ;-)

Its a long time ago. CompuServe Germany is no longer (OK, there is still a website...), even AOL (who bought the company) has its troubles.

But it was a great time and thanks for serving the rocketry community for such a long time, Doug!

Oliver

Oliver

(To answer, pls. remove "nospam")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Oliver Missbach, NAR 35813, IMR 01001 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.modellraketen.de

Oliver Missbach

OK, it was a Level 1 box, so no trig functions indeed.

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:00:16 -0400, "Steve Decker" is alleged to have written:

Yep... I remember having to dial up through Tymnet at 300 baud (back when baud rate was the same, for all intents and purposes, as bits-per-second).

- Rick "Old fart" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

Radio Electronics and Popular Electronics merged into Poptronics and I *think* it's still going. I know I read an issue within the past year.

-- AL

Reply to
Alan Rognlie

I'm aware of the merge, but I read an announcement a couple of months ago that it was going under... I'll try to find a cite... Starting google...

Looks as though the last issue was January, 2003. The poptronics site doesn't look very 'active', so we'll see how long IT lasts.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White