Contrail Sparky motors

Any one out there used a Contrail motor in sparky version (38mm H340 or I290) I am thinking of building a new rocket for their H and I motors. Any recommendation of a good kit for them with dual deployment?

Thanks, KT

Reply to
kimballt

I've flown the I290 several times. Pic at

from back in October. Nice motor.

I can't help much with a kit recommendation since I scratch-build everything.

Kevin O

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

Hey, your the one that posted those inspiring pictures to atl.binaries.model.rockets. They inspired me so much that I bought the Contrail 38mm motor set. Now I just have to build something to fly the H and I motors in. Thanks!!

KT

Reply to
kimballt

After seeing them in person, I'm wondering why it's called a sparky.......it's missing.....well.....sparks. And sparks are important when flying a sparkie.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Chuck Rudy wrote in news:m3Idh.2077$QD3.1525@trndny01:

As one of Kevin's flying buddies, I can testify that

"There be sparks there, aye!"

Perhaps not so rich a showering as some of the more sparkitudinous spectacles of speck spewing splendor, but sparks. Aye, there be sparks.

The pic Kevin posted,

does not do it justice.

ScottE

Reply to
ScottE

Ah yes, late in the day with the sun fading and heading over the hill. Now look at the pic, white flame and very, very few sparks. Anemic. That is quite simply a sad example of sparks. But the up side is you can fly em even with a fire ban. ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Its all relative. Compare theKevins launch picture to my regular Skyripper flame.

Next to a regular Polypropylene pipe hybrid, the Contrail is truly spectacular (for a hybrid..).

--jd Chuck Rudy wrote:

Reply to
jdMARS

Chuck Rudy wrote in news:y_Jdh.6909$Gp2.690@trndny06:

That's odd. I don't remember seeing you there for that sunny summer mid-day launch.

Here's a shot of Kevin's sparky hybrid flight that I took.

ScottE

Reply to
ScottE

Gee....I mess with video a lot and a look at the length of shadow the trees cast give it away. Plain and simple, the last hybrid sparky I watched resulted in snickers from the crowd.....then everyone gave the fella the benefit of the doubt and figured the motor was mislabeled. It was not even worth posting a video, the 5 minutes of my life could be better spent.

As much as I enjoy flying hybrids, I'm not gonna be bamboozled into thinking that thing is anything near a sparky.....but some folks are happy with knockoffs.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

John

With all due respect. What does one have to do with another?

SRS is not touting any of it's motors as sparkies.

Contrail claims theirs are. I've seen these things. Contrail may want to think up another name, because quite simply, their motor is not worth looking at as a sparky, as a hybrid maybe, but not as a sparky. It's a laughable pale, very pale imitation of a sparky motor. Period.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Chuck Rudy wrote in news:yu5eh.6303$H22.6014@trndny09:

That's certainly one way to interpret the photo. It's the wrong way, but it is a way.

As a person who took photos of the launch, I have the originals, with the camera meta-data encoded in the files.

As stated, it was a sunny summer mid-day launch. The lack of belching smoke means the sparks are seen against the sky and clouds. Not the best way to see bits of fire at 1:30 on an August afternoon.

The bright sky pushed the camera to a 1/500 shutter speed for the ISO 50 equivalent exposure.

File Name IMG_4640.JPG Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot G1 Shooting Date/Time 8/12/2006 1:20:00 PM Shooting Mode Program AE Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500 Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1 Metering Mode Center-weighted averaging Exposure Compensation 0 ISO Speed 50 Lens 7.0 - 21.0mm Focal Length 21.0mm Digital Zoom None Image Size 2048x1536 Image Quality Superfine Flash Off White Balance Auto AF Mode Single AF Parameters Contrast Normal Sharpness Normal Color saturation Normal Color Space sRGB File Size 1111KB Drive Mode Continuous shooting

Now I suppose you'll state that the camera's clock and calendar are wrong, and that there's no long shadows because the Sun was already down.

ScottE

Reply to
ScottE

You miss the point.....the motor sux as a sparky. I suppose you'll state it's great. Knock yourself out. Go with the last word, cuz you need to. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Got Sparks?

Reply to
JRogers

Cool. What motor is that? Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell Jr.

Sparkys sux as rocket motors.

Good as a firework though.

Reply to
jdMARS

Cool. What motor is that? Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell Jr.

John

I prefer the crackling sound more than the pyrotehnics (AMWs M220 come to mind as we see them regularly)......but I won't call them fireworks for obvious reasons. ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Hi Chuck,

My comment was tongue in cheek. The Skidmarks are favorites around here, the "sucky" part up here is getting the conditions to be able to fly em in, short or moist grass preferably after a rain. And I need to be more careful with my words.....

Reply to
jdMARS

John

You know where I fly......in all the years I've flown there they've never refused to fly a sparky, and some of them are enormous......drop on down, let me know when, and maybe we can get a M 2200 or faxsimile thereof to fly.....it will not be refused for 'fire' reasons.

Or maybe they'll pop off a P motor, or drag race O motors or........

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Hey CHuck,

When are you going to fly that M powered mono copter?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein