Contrail Sparky motors

Any one out there used a Contrail motor in sparky version (38mm H340 or I290) I am thinking of building a new rocket for their H and I motors. Any
recommendation of a good kit for them with dual deployment?
Thanks, KT
On 3-Dec-2006, snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

I've flown the I290 several times. Pic at
http://back2bed.com/rockets/JFL-Sparky3a.jpg from back in October. Nice motor.
I can't help much with a kit recommendation since I scratch-build everything.
Kevin O

Hey, your the one that posted those inspiring pictures to atl.binaries.model.rockets. They inspired me so much that I bought the Contrail 38mm motor set. Now I just have to build something to fly the H and I motors in. Thanks!!
KT
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

After seeing them in person, I'm wondering why it's called a sparky.......it's missing.....well.....sparks. And sparks are important when flying a sparkie.
Chuck

As one of Kevin's flying buddies, I can testify that
"There be sparks there, aye!"
Perhaps not so rich a showering as some of the more sparkitudinous spectacles of speck spewing splendor, but sparks. Aye, there be sparks.
The pic Kevin posted,
http://back2bed.com/rockets/JFL-Sparky3a.jpg
does not do it justice.
ScottE
ScottE wrote:

Ah yes, late in the day with the sun fading and heading over the hill. Now look at the pic, white flame and very, very few sparks. Anemic. That is quite simply a sad example of sparks. But the up side is you can fly em even with a fire ban. ;-)
Chuck
Its all relative. Compare theKevins launch picture to my regular Skyripper flame.
http://www.marsclub.org/new1/db__MG_5245_1_1.jpg
Next to a regular Polypropylene pipe hybrid, the Contrail is truly spectacular (for a hybrid..).
--jd Chuck Rudy wrote:

jdMARS wrote:

John
With all due respect. What does one have to do with another?
SRS is not touting any of it's motors as sparkies.
Contrail claims theirs are. I've seen these things. Contrail may want to think up another name, because quite simply, their motor is not worth looking at as a sparky, as a hybrid maybe, but not as a sparky. It's a laughable pale, very pale imitation of a sparky motor. Period.
Chuck

That's odd. I don't remember seeing you there for that sunny summer mid-day launch.
Here's a shot of Kevin's sparky hybrid flight that I took.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2585005660042826146TIXJwD
ScottE
ScottE wrote:

Gee....I mess with video a lot and a look at the length of shadow the trees cast give it away. Plain and simple, the last hybrid sparky I watched resulted in snickers from the crowd.....then everyone gave the fella the benefit of the doubt and figured the motor was mislabeled. It was not even worth posting a video, the 5 minutes of my life could be better spent.
As much as I enjoy flying hybrids, I'm not gonna be bamboozled into thinking that thing is anything near a sparky.....but some folks are happy with knockoffs.
Chuck

That's certainly one way to interpret the photo. It's the wrong way, but it is a way.
As a person who took photos of the launch, I have the originals, with the camera meta-data encoded in the files.
As stated, it was a sunny summer mid-day launch. The lack of belching smoke means the sparks are seen against the sky and clouds. Not the best way to see bits of fire at 1:30 on an August afternoon.
The bright sky pushed the camera to a 1/500 shutter speed for the ISO 50 equivalent exposure.
File Name IMG_4640.JPG Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot G1 Shooting Date/Time 8/12/2006 1:20:00 PM Shooting Mode Program AE Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500 Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1 Metering Mode Center-weighted averaging Exposure Compensation 0 ISO Speed 50 Lens 7.0 - 21.0mm Focal Length 21.0mm Digital Zoom None Image Size 2048x1536 Image Quality Superfine Flash Off White Balance Auto AF Mode Single AF Parameters Contrast Normal Sharpness Normal Color saturation Normal Color Space sRGB File Size 1111KB Drive Mode Continuous shooting
Now I suppose you'll state that the camera's clock and calendar are wrong, and that there's no long shadows because the Sun was already down.
ScottE
ScottE wrote:

You miss the point.....the motor sux as a sparky. I suppose you'll state it's great. Knock yourself out. Go with the last word, cuz you need to. :-)
Chuck
http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0743
http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0752?full=1
http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0755?full=1
Got Sparks?

JRogers wrote:

http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0752?full=1
http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0755?full=1
Cool. What motor is that? Larry Lobdell Jr.
JRogers wrote:

http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0752?full=1
http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/Oct-21%2C-22-2006-Hearne-TX/DSC_0755?full=1
Cool. What motor is that? Larry Lobdell Jr.
It's a wee little J365
Looks can be deceiving

JRogers wrote:

Well if we're unzipping our flies (or is that files?)
http://www.mdra-archive.org/photos/esl84/PhilTomeo/Full/sparkyshot.JPG
Just a wee bit larger J400.....albeit an overcast day.
Chuck
JRogers wrote:

Well if we're unzipping our flies (or is that files?)
http://www.mdra-archive.org/photos/esl84/PhilTomeo/Full/sparkyshot.JPG
Just a wee bit larger I 200.....albeit an overcast day.
A test on a wee motor
http://www.mdra-archive.org/photos/esl84/PhilTomeo/Full/SparkyTest.JPG
In the H range.....but as far as sparkies 38 mms sux too
Chuck
Chuck Rudy wrote:

Small sparkies are fun. Here's my G100, from the way-back machine... http://rmpitzer.syr.edu/motortests/john_sparkyred.mov Chuck... you may recognize that laugh. ;-)
Here's it's bigger cousin, an I225, more recently. Less sparks, more red.
http://www.thrustgear.com/data/sparkyred_I.JPG
Unfortunately, the bright desert sun at White Sands washed it out a bit.
Add some black crap, and here's something more skid-like... my I317 (6-grain 38). http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/album03/01_BlackGold38 The next frame has the thrust curve (can you say "erosive"?).
Moving all the way up to the mighty 54mm... here's my J355 "Black Gold" motor... http://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/album11 And in my old Magnum....
http://www.thrustgear.com/data/BlackGoldJ355.jpg
Not many sparks in that frame, but it was nice and LOUD. A pleasant attribute at the cost of graphite nozzles!
-John

Sparkys sux as rocket motors.
Good as a firework though.