Dangerous Hobby

Don't you mean "I ain't pokin' this with a 4" pole"?

;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

ROFLMAO!

I _never_ woulda seen it!

Only you, Gene, only you...

But of course, wouldn't that be "Infections of Passion"?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

[looking down] Don't you mean a 3.5" pole?
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This was near the same time frame that Lyle Kurtenbach was killed in the stands at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway when he was struck by a wheel that had come of Tony Bettenhausen, Jr.'s car. To the insurance underwriters it looked like things had gotten significantly more dangerous.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Reply to
Gene Costanza

Like Al Capone? :-D

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

And IIRC he was WAAAAAAY up in the grandstands too. About that time NHRA limited the gearing in top fuelers so they wouldn't break 300 mph because of insurance, they found another carrier, out came the old gears in went the new and they are over 330mph now.......there will come a day when they will have finished before they make it to the starting line

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Chuck Rudy, talking about NHRA races:

"There was a young driver named Bright Who's car was much faster than light He went racing one day In his usual way And won on the previous night!"

(Apologies to Isaac Asimov) :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Great stuff! :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

On 14 Nov 2003 02:31:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) is alleged to have written:

I always heard it as "In a relative way"...

Still, thanks for making me remember the young lady named Bright, who travelled much faster than light.

- Rick "...from Nantucket" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

IIRC, top fuelers are still limited to a 2.70 rear end. The 330 barrier was broken because they rev the engines higher than they used to. When you have 8000HP, top end becomes rpm and traction limited only.

Mark Simpson

Are you THE man from Nantucket?? :-D

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I've seen the original limeric many times, but don't recall it being attributed to Asimov.

Bob Kaplow

Extra credit question.

Two Intrepid-Class starships leave Earth orbit at the same time bound for Antares IV. If the first arrives three days ahead of the second and two hours before it started, what were the real and pseudovelocities of each ship? (Hint: E=mc^2)

Ad Astra! Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

You're gonna make me look this up somewhere, eh? ;-) I believe you are correct on the present 2.70 limit, however, when they were having insurance problems the gears were regulated so they wouldn't break

300mph.......the aside to it was by the end of the year they were going faster ETs despite slower top speeds, when the new insurance company was found and the gears were allowed taller.......now they had a massive speed increase in one year (I believe the first event they were 310) as well as quicker ETs all because they learned how to twist em a little tighter in that 'restricted' year.......for the life of me I can't recall what year it was........I need the cobwebs to disapper for a while.....If I can remember, even if it's ayear from now I'll send it along. I remember Steve Evans was still alive, but other than that the years run together
Reply to
Chuck Rudy

A ship can't travel faster than instantaneously, so the only way it could to that is if all the clocks on Antares IV are two hours' slow... ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

It was 1989!! You owe me two Michigan Cheesesteaks.......on second thought, never mind :-)

April Connie Kalitta, Don Prudhomme, and Larry Morgan won the inaugural Winston Invitational at North Carolina's Rockingham Dragway. ... Garlits, retired from racing since his 1987 blowover, teamed with Shirley Muldowney as a consultant on her car. ... NHRA, due to insurance concerns over Top Fuel speeds that were quickly approaching 300 mph, formed a Performance Limitations Task Force. It was later decided to limit Top Fuelers to a 3.20 rear gear ratio.

3.20 gears with 95% nitro, compared to today's gear and mixture rules.........
Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I have no idea but I can tell you that they didn't go through B'ham. The roadwork delays would have them arriving sometime around June.... 2026.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Starlight Savings Time...?

Reply to
Len Lekx

They decided against that. Too much trouble to turn the galaxy back one hour.

Randy

Reply to
Randy