Electro-launch

I'm looking for any information or photos of the original Estes Electro-launch. This is the one that was a wooded block with holes drilled
for the batteries. I have downloaded the old catalog pages but can't get enough detail. What I would really like to find is a scan of the instructions for one but I've never seen that anywhere. Does anyone have an idea where I could find some information?
Ted Mahler NAR 18184

No cheating, Ted. We will use carbon dating to make sure no one attempts to pass a clone off as an original :)
Doug

Ted Mahler wrote:

Hi Ted,
This link will take you to a scan of the first catalog that the Electrolaunch appeared in.
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes261/261est20.html
Good Luck
Yep, that's it, but I need some more details. How thick is the base block? I thought perhaps it was a 2X6 since the 5-1/2 X 5-1/2 would make sense but you can't fit a hole for a D battery in the thickness of a 2X6. Is the masonite the 1/8" stuff you see building supplies stores?
Yep, I'm trying to build a replica but don't worry Doug I won't try to pass it off as a "real" one. I just want to build one. Why? Well, I when I get an itch I never stop to ask why. Wish I would sometimes, it would save me a lot of work.
Ted

writes:

Yup, muine from the winter of 63-64 is 5.5 x 5.5 x 1.6" and looks like it was cut from 2x6 stock left over from Vern's garage business. The holes are about 1.3" diameter, so they just barely fit in the block. There is a slot sawed across one end where you ran the wire to connect the two pairs of Photoflash D cells together. My masonite is long gone, but IIRC one side was smooth, the other cross-hatched. Ditto for the piece that was the launch switch. The asbestos pad is 4x4"
writes:

I've still got one in the basement. Complete with the ASBESTOS blast deflector glued to the wood! I'll have to check on the instructions, but I've got all my other kit instructions, so I should have that one too.
I've been talking to Bob offline about this and am making some arrangements with him. Just wanted to say thanks to him in the forum!
With all the rocketry stuff on the web I am still amazed I could located so little about the launch pad. I'm still open to anyone else that may have a photo of the pad they could scan for me.
Does anyone know a history of the Red Plastic version? It looks like there are two different versions. One with the screw tabs on the outside of the plastic box and one with them in the center. Any idea who designed the pad? Do you think Vern did? Hope I get to attend some event with him in attandace soon. Maybe I can ask him. He also seems willing to talk the other times I have met him. Never tried writing to him. Has anyone else?
Ted Mahler NAR 18148
writes:

writes:

Needless to say, I've got a couple of those too!
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

I pt these online for Ted, but figured others would be interested. I can't leave them here too long. If someone has space, I've got the original 3mb camera files still on the flash card.
http://www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/electro-1.jpg
http://www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/electro-2.jpg
http://www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/electro-3.jpg
Thanks Bob! Good,,no,,,great of you to help with so much on your mind. Really appreciate it!
Ted Mahler NAR 18184