Estes Alpha 4

I was reading about the Alpha 40 Project, and I thought some might find this amusing. . .

The Alpha 4 is something I invented on a whim, by bashing together an Alpha with an Alpha III kit. It uses the plastic fin cannister from the Alpha III, which I beefed up. I took some vinyl material cut from videotape slipcases and laminated it onto both side of each fin using epoxy, and then made epoxy fillets at the root. It made the fins thicker, better looking, and perfectly straight (i.e. not warped). After being finished and painted it looks almost exactly like a model made with balsa fins. There's even a slight taper in thickness from the root to the tip, which I think is neat. I also filled and concealed the joint where the plastic section connects with the body tube, put the Alpha nosecone on it, and painted the whole thing in the traditional (modern) Alpha color scheme: white body, red nose, one blue fin, and put all the Alpha stickers on it. To balance the extra fin weight, I filled the nose with parafin. The result is something that outwardly looks practically identical to a regular Alpha, but is considerably heavier and, I hope, stronger.

I've flown it once -- on a A8, if I remember right. It went surprisingly high and caused me some recovery anxiety. It's hard to track something that tiny! I want to fly it on a composite D21-7 and see if it survives. Or if I can find it afterwards, that's the real challenge.

Reply to
Tony Belding

Go for it, Tony. One hint for your high flight; Use tracking powder and a streamer. A rocket that small seems to dissapear at apogee. Tracking powder, line chalk or tempra paint will help you locate it. A chute, even a small one, will cause it to drift for many minutes. Use a steamer and it will come down in the same county at least.

steve

Reply to
default

Um, Steve, what size steamer would you recommend? Queen Mary sized?

Steve's right Tony, even something the size of an Estes Big Bertha flying on a D21 will get out of sight quick, so tracking powder would definitely be prudent.

Can you say "bottlerocket"?

Yes, "Holy Crap" in the background came from No. 1 son, as it was actually *his* BB we decided to "experiment" on...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

You know something, swap out the BT60 for LOC 38mm... hand turned NC...

29 MMT...TTW fin mounting and one of those teeny little weenie perfectflight alts and you have the makings of a dual deployment BB from hell!

I just might try it :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

Hmmm, you might want to send a cease and desist order to Estes then:

A.S.

Reply to
Augusto Salaris

... and the Mosquito disappears just about when it hits the end of the launch rail... They were fine at 99 cents, years ago, but...

Reply to
Eric McCann

The cheek! How dare they steal my idea! ;)

Reply to
Tony Belding