Estes website

Yes, A10 sounds much more exciting than another A3 or an A2. And really, it behaves like a core burner, it just has a wheezy sustain phase once the grain transitions to end burning. In order to make a BP booster motor you need a bulkhead of BP to prevent staging midway through the burn and the result of course is a low thrust sustain period due to the larger nozzle needed for hte boost phase. In the end - "who cares?"

Re your second paragraph - average thrust is important, and choosing between one and another I'd still say average is smart. But in many cases you must look carefully at the thrust profile of the motor if there is a concern about a particular phase of the flight. Similar issues can be observed in various HPR motors now and again - where for example one may decide not to use a particular motor for a particular rocket due to the average thrust not satisfying a rule of thumb such as 3x GTOW, yet, because the motor has a notably regressive thrust profile it may be a perfectly acceptable choice. Tangent port (moon/C slot) motors are one example that comes to mind, as well there a few fairly regressive core burners as well either due to grain L/D or nozzle erosion. Although you may make a very educated choice to use a particular motor that you know will have good performance off the pad, you still have to convince the range safety officers on the subject - that may or may not be a challenge.

Where rules of thumb can bite you is with progressive thrust motors, in rockets where you are marginal with liftoff acceleration based on AVERAGE thrust to begin with. Though I think it is true to say that progressive motors are the minority these days.When erring on the side of caution, generally those rules of thumb work quite well. When on the edge, take a hard look at the performance in the early phases of the motor burn.

Mike D.

p.s. enough on mini motors.. ;-)

Reply to
M Dennett

And NAR not only tolerates this false naming nomenclature, they encourage it.

Can I make a G008 and call it an F60? The initial thrust is similar to an F80.

You could make a lifetime supply of mini-motors (toll propellant) in one workday with your equipment sir.

Go!

Jerry

U.S. Rockets knows rockets.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hi, Fred, I've had excellent results with 1/2A3 uppers. Only one failed to light out of many, many flights. And I have been extra careful to clean out the nozzles (using a small, hand-turned drill bit) ever since. I've used both tape-together and vented-gap staging, so I find the 1/2A3 nozzle to be adequate under a range of conditions.

I built a rocket which can (hopefully) tolerate the short delay (-3) just so I can try this (A10 in the upper). I have my fingers crossed.

I want to try this. BTW, have you ever done it with Apogee's 10.5mm motors? That was where I was considering it, but haven't got around to it yet.

Yes, it makes for better drama. My rockets tend to climb at constant speed during the tail. It makes them seem to be moving slow. I remember ths first flight of my resurrected Midget a few years ago. It was very exciting watching it climb from distance. It gave the entire flight an added measure of fun. I've been chasing that feeling ever since.

I wholeheartedly agree with that observation.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

A NIRA member thought her once heard someone say D80 instead o G80. SO he built one. BT-70 rocket with a cluster of 8 A10-3Ts. A pretty cool flying rocket too.

Bob Kaplow

Correct. The initial spike may average out to an A10, but if you take the total impulse and divide by the burn time, it's really an A2.

It's very much like toe old FSI D18, a big spike followed by a long low sustainer.

Bob Kaplow

No.

Correct.

I believe he was.