[F-FT] Thoughts on certification

Phil Stein wrote:

Hi Phil,
No you didn't mis-interpret me but there are calculators out there that tells one how much BP to use and all the information I have seen recommends ground testing of the charges. I don't think someone would blindly try to do dual-deploy without researching it. I agree it is not so simple.
Kurt Savegnago

The calculators can't take all variables like friction and amount of force to shear a shear pin into account. A calculator is a good start.
Phil
Phil Stein wrote:

That's why it behooves us to do ground testing, right? :)
Kurt

Yep - definitely.

The first time I used electronics, I used motor ejection as a backup. I simply made sure I understood which charge did what, and made sure it was wired correctly. I had never used BP, and I was a bit nervous about that. We did a ground test first, then flew it. The electronics and ejection worked flawlessly...<G>
Eldred
To be honest, I don't see where it would provide any benefit, as the electronics are but a portion of the recovery system as a whole.
I've seen mistakes made with electronics, yes, but I've seen more problems due to improper delay selection, poor recovery system selection, or poor recovery system design.
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

OK, OK, OK!!! I get it!!! It was a stupid idea, I apologize <G>. I'll go back and sit in the corner now...
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

    Whether the idea was good or not, the discussion was excellent. Besides the content, it was really cool to learn that you can have a flame-free thread just by saying "this will be a flame-free thread". ;)
Howdy wrote:

I'll second that at the risk of this being a needless post. I do learn alot from everyone here and I am in an isolated area with little contact with other rocketeers. I have to learn by doing with my L0 models.
Kurt Savegnago
David Erbas-White wrote:

Don't apologize, and definitely DON'T go sit in the corner.
Nothing wrong with a good, coherent, mature discussion of a topic.
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

Ditto that!

Here? On RMR? Go outside and feel the ground. ; )
Randy www.vernarockets.com
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

What are We looking for? :)

Tundra! ; )
Randy www.vernarockets.com
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Freezing over, I gotcha!

That's the key right there. Read, learn, observe, ask questions. Most people do before attempting to use electronics. Electronic deployment is not hard, but does require some forethought, both in rocket design and recovery system design.
I did my first electronics on my L2 cert flight. I collected all the info I could read, and then designed and built the rocket and altbay. Then, I had some of the guys in my club look my work over carefully and give me a reality check and tell me weather it would work or not.. I also did ground testing to size the charges.
I don't think a separate cert for electronics is needed.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2