Good old rocketry humor...

After two consecutive shreds at the GHS launch this weekend, I decided to compile this list.
You know your motor is too big for your rocket...
10. when the flame is longer than the rocket 9. when the rocket leaves the pad in 2 frames of a camera recording 8. when you have to friction fit because the motor hangs 5 inches out the back of the rocket 7. when you have to put the parachute around the motor instead of on top of it. 6. when it takes an entire package of bbs to make the rocket stable 5. when you ask the guy in the motor shop "Where do you keep the O10000s?" 4. when the LCO reads off ur card.. and its flying on.. what the hell?? 3. when the RSO raises his eyebrow when he looks at ur flight card, looks at the rocket, and grins 2. when describing your rocket as a "mach buster" is an understatement 1. when the fins and nose are welded onto the rocket, i mean Motor
If you can think of any more, feel free to add them.

:
I believe I suggested you use duct tape....
"8. when you have to friction fit because the motor hangs 5 inches out the back of the rocket"
HaHa, I put an H210 in a MM that was made for an F20. It stuck out about 4 or 5 inches. I was lucky to launch that one :)
Eric F Virginia Beach

On 25 Oct 2005 21:03:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No such thing, IMHO.

J275 in Estes Fat Boy. Check.

J275 in Estes Fat Boy. Check.

So, what's wrong with that? (The J275 fit completely within the Estes Fat Boy, except for the aft closure and about 1/2" of motor mount).

J275 in Estes Fat Boy. Check.

You need to use lead shot -- it takes less volume to get the same nose weight. Of course, my Estes Fat Boy didn't need nose weight, as the J275 motor moved the CG *forward* when it was inserted....

Whay are you disparaging perfectly good motors like that?

J275 in Estes Fat Boy. Check.

J275 in Estes Fat Boy. Check.

J275 in Estes Fat Boy. Check.

The Estes Fat Boy's balsa wood fins held up just fine to a J275. (Of course, they were covered with a few layers of 9 ounce glass....)

I doubt it. In my opinion, rockets can never be overpowered. However, they are occasionally underbuilt.
- Rick "Did I mention my Estes Fat Boy on a J275?" Dickinson
--
Rick Dickinson - snipped-for-privacy@notesguy.com
National Association of Rocketry (NAR) # 73975 Level 2