Help Save UPCo

Where I work, Goodrich/UPCO, the city of Phoenix is changing the zoning to reflect what we really do, this is good. We need as many people as possible to go to this site,

, and fill it out so the city will pass the new zoning.

We make ejection seats, rocket motors and pyrotechnics used by the military and NASA. Some of the parts we have made now sit on Mars and Titan!

Please forward this to as many people as possible so I can keep my job.

Thank you for your support.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Clark

Shouldn't you also distribute this to the SSSmembers Yahoo Group list?

Reply to
bit eimer

I was expendable.

Now you are too.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Stop lying jerry.

You've never had a job.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

BTW that website is impressive propganda and lobbying.

NAR should try that.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Mark,

I work at Exponent, just a little ways from you. We have a firing range for the military weapons testing/design we do. They are building so much where we are at we will probably lose our permit this year. I fill your pain, I wish you the best of luck!

Best regards, Steve

Steven Kosmerchock * XAVIEN * Phoenix, Az USA

Mark Clark wrote:

Reply to
XAVIEN

Poor Jerry. You still are.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Phil, Don't you mean "big fine" is expended. I think we have another JI FAQ. What do you thin Phil??

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Expended, ejected, dejected, rejected - he's all that.

Reply to
Phil Stein

The only way you can keep facilities like this is to own the bffer land around it, so you can't be encroached on.

Same problem AT had after the fire. When they mived into the facility, it was an industrial park with no housing anywhere near. They built the apartments next door 2 years before the fire, and 13 years after AT moved into the facility.

Even BoPahl (sp?) in India was in the boonies, and encroached on before the accident.

If local ordinances are going to allow hazmat operations, they MUST preserve that buffer space from development. Alas, most towns just see the tax revenues, so they let any one develop anything, then pleat "not my fault" when something bad happens.

Bob Kaplow

UPDATE:

GOODRICH / UPCO is good to go. A few stipulations and what not, other then that there expansion has been approved. I wonder how many emails those government folks got from my friends, family and co-workers? ;)

Steve

Bob Kaplow wrote:

facility, it

Reply to
XAVIEN

Thanks all for your emails. I do not have the numbers but we had about 300 people all wearing orange T-shirts at the Zoning and city council meetings, those opposing us had 20-30. Zone vote was unanimous, city council had one dissenting vote, this guy was the same one who praised the arsonist who was burning giant houses under construction near preserve areas. A nut case.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Clark

As someone that does live in the city of Phoenix (many miles away from UPCO), I find it quite a shame that those from out of the area, city, or state had even the slightest impact on a local zoning issue. The handful of people that opposed this are the people that are the most impacted by it. There can't be more than 20-30 people that own land adjoining the UPCO land

Mark, XAVIEN, how would you feel if a another company doing the same thing as UPCO wanted to expand a facility a few blocks from your house, and it was approved due to a flood of messages from people that lived in Iowa? That's what happened...

It's a real shame if the folks considering the re-zoning paid any attention to the emails from anyone out of the area when making their decision (other than company employees)... But then again, this is AZ... Think Gov Ed and Fife.

What a shame..."Their backyard but not mine" seems to be the theme of this effort.....

Reply to
AZ Woody

What I would be asking is this, "Who in the hell is dumb enough to move next to a place that does this and has been around before alot of the houses, I'm not".

I would never move even close to an industial area, I'm just too smart I guess. Originally growing up in Southern California next to a Kaiser Steel plant taught me a lesson long ago.

I'm fairly certain people from outside didn't "count" since you needed to give your address in the email. Where I work we do vehicle crash testing and forensics as well as military weapons design. We are on about 150 acres that use to be in the middle of no where but dumb ass developers are putting houses all around, they need to be held accountable, they're probably not telling people about the businesses they are living by.

Steve

AZ Woody wrote:

co-workers? ;)

,

building so

Reply to
XAVIEN

What I find a shame is folks who move in next to an existing facility (UPCO, Aerotech, airport, whatever), then complain about their neighbor. If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have moved there.

You build an industrial facility out in the boonies to get away from these problems, then urban sprawl puts expensive condos right next to you. It's the fault of the developers that come in later, and the city councils that cave in with zoning and permits to build residential right on top of incompatible industry.

Bob Kaplow

Amen brother!

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Bondage and

Reply to
XAVIEN

Same thing around here with Road Atlanta. People drive right past this monument to speed, buy a house, then whine and bitch about the noise. Duh.

Reply to
Tweak

Watch that corny Aussie movie 'The Castle'

The guy's been living in his house for years and the airport he's next to want's to take it and expand.....quite funny if you can grasp Aussie humour. Along the same lines but reversed positions!

Reply to
CJC