Hot Glue on a Alpha

A thin layer of titebond II will dry in well under 30 minutes. Still, I think the E2X kits are a better idea, and I have used them with cub scouts
before.
-- David

No! Hot glue won't do the job. If you use it you'll be launching confetti. Use regular white or yellow glue.
Randy www.vernarockets.com

Contrary to the nay-sayers, including Fred, I have used Hot Melt on rockets, and it does work. In certain applications.
I use it almost exclusively for oddrocs from CD spools and such to my Borg cube to crayon banks and other plastic bottle conversions. In many cases it's the only thing that will stick to the blow-molded plastic parts.
The heat time for hot melt is considerably longer than the burn time of a model rocket. What will happen is that the hot engine will continue to soften the glue after the model has landed. Remove the used motor immediately after recovery.
For a rocket like the original Alpha, I wouldn't use it for the motor mount, because it would sieze during assembly, but it could be used to glue the fins to the body tube. But if I were doing this in a class, I'd use either CA, or titebond with double glue joints. I've burned plenty of fingers over 40 years of hot melt gluing, and while it really doesn't bother me much, it's not recommended for young kids.
I agree. I've seen thousands of rockets with fins glued with hot glue, and I never seen a disaster in flight. Even after landing, all the rockets where in fine condition.
However, as it is said, hot glue mean burning fingers.
My solution when I have to organise a workshop on the field is to use a fin alignment guide. The students put the body tube and the fins in correct position. Then I walk to them to glue the fins with a drop or two of ca. Then they use fast white glue to make the fillets. All the rockets built with this method flied fine.
writes:

rockets,
mount,
over