JC, TRA and the future of rocketry

I don't know about you, but most launches I attend make me sign away my rights. and I'm perfectly happy doing so to launch.

i'm covered for anything I do myself, don't need no orgs for that. it don't matter if I jump out of a plane or fly a rocket, I'm covered.

Reply to
Al Max

I DO NOT make excuses for any organisation, ever.

but let me tell you something you already know.

and all hand wringers out there need to understand.

if it is not excluded, it's covered, period, period.

If you start asking if something is covered, many underwriters will make an exclusion to keep it from being covered. So don't ask, or end up screwing yourself. Ohh I forgot, the rocket hand wringiners have been screwing us for years.

This advise does not come from me, but from a long time underwriter and insurance investigator.

Reply to
Al Max

No, this practice derives from fanatical, obsessive individuals trying to sabotage an organization they disagree with.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I seriously doubt John went to the Prefect before going to the land owner.

John definitely has an ax to grind re TRA. The hobby has not been good to him.

  1. He was very freaked when we got busted for possession of rocket motors in the PRK (1990). He had all his motors with him, about 00 worth, and they were almost lost to the legal system.
  2. He allowed EX motors at 'his' launches in south GA even before EX was allowed by TRA. He last allowed an EX motor in April 1997 at one of the last launches held at the field.
  3. He was doing a good job as TMT chair when he brought up the TRA bylaws issue. As a result, he was removed from TMT by Tripoli BOD.
  4. John interprets laws/regulations as 'prohibited unless specifically allowed'. In this country, it's supposed to be 'allowed unless specifically prohibited'.
  5. At the time, GA had not adopted NFPA 1127 so there was no difference (in the law) between EX and commercially manufactured motors. GA adopted NFPA
1127 in 2002 but still has not written any difference between certified and EX motors into law. There is no exemption in the law for certified (NFPA 1127) motors. I do expect an exemption from GA explosives law for NFPA 1127 motors eventually like there is for NFPA 1122 motors now (100 Kg propellant).
  1. The largest motor John has successfully flown is a K900 (1800 N-s). He has also flown a 2 stage (J to I). He has not flown a rocket since at least
1997. He's had some spectacular failures at major launches, specifically LDRS 10 and 11. He did have an excellent flight at Black Rock II in 1990. He was a very meticulous scale modeller; the LDRS crashes represented literally thousands of hours of work.
  1. He was knowingly in violation of GA law as of Jan 2003. In conversations with Mr. John Montgomery (State Fire Marshal), there were 16 people in GA with LEUP and storage, I was the only one with a state license.

Item 1 got him looking into the laws concerning rocketry; item 3 turned him against Tripoli. He eventually reached the point where he would do anything if it would damage Tripoli regardless of the collateral damage. However, he would bend the rules if it suited him. (The 1997 launch was a certified motor launch.)

I am not going to post again on this topic.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

Not at all. When he found out who the insurer was, he called them and told them EX was illegal. The insurance company didn't agree and maintained coverage.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

If the Bureau of Mines (or whoever does the testing) is anything like UL, it would cost several thousand per motor type. I've dealt with UL and it costs almost $1000/year just to *maintain* a listing.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

If you were to go camping, and 'accidentally' started a forest fire which caused a million $$ in damages, you best have your butt covered. That's just one example which could also happen in rocketry. You could be living in a dorm when that happens, yes? Old boss was charged with a forest fire, they believed it started in his campsite (he doesn't believe it was them), and they had photographs of the picnic table including the pack of cigarettes on the table. They were going after the full liability on his homeowner's policy. What if he didn't have liability?

There was that car being towed behind an RV that started some canyon fire (guy didn't stop even though he was being honked at non-stop) because a tire went flat and the rim was sparking. They were trying to get the fine down to the homeowner's liability coverage, but clearly he didn't have to own a home since he had one to take around.

The worst case is if you cause someone to become permanently injured (not kilt). Someone on life support is going to drain tremendous resources, you. Say you're drinking with some buds and the court finds that someway you're responsible that the bud ends up in a bed plugged into a machine. If you don't have a liabilty policy, how are you going to defend yourself in court, let alone pay for damages. Them guys don't work for free unless you're OJ.

Of course, if you'd rather be living in a van,.. down by the river.

Call your agent and see.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Funny, virtually NONE of the launches I attend ask me to do so. I guess that's the difference between flying under an organization with real insurance coverage, and flying under one that doesn't.

Bob Kaplow

I think you've got it backwards. The fanatical, obsessive individuals, starting with John Cato himself, started when John discovered that the organization was making up its own internal rules, and not running itself according to the rules it had put in place for its own operation. The organization has been broken for over a decade. The fanatics are a result of the internal corruption. Remove the problems, come clean, and the criticism WILL stop.

Bob Kaplow

So there is no reason to maintain secrecy then?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Interesting post Tom.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Tripoli claims uncertified motors are excluded. At alaunch that is NOT EX and IS Tripoli BTW.

Is that false?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

F A L S E

Trusted by who? Only the last few remaining members? What about the population external to the club who also depend on motor certs to be valid???

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So what is YOUR position as TRA BoT member......

Reply to
GCGassaway

The consumer. In my case, I trust NAR S&T.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Izzy,

How would you like it if some person with a personal vendetta gassing a club, for whatever reason, went around to the club's launch site owners and ALSO all neighbors of that site, trying their best to "Chicken Little" scare the owners or neighbors, in order to get the launches shut down?

Because it would not be that hard for someone to be successful in getting sites shut down, even if their stories were far more based on achieving their vendetta than actual facts.

This is just what Cato did. He knew damned well that by shaking things up, he was risking losing the site for EVERYBODY. He didn?t care how many got screwed in the process, as long as his intended targets were among them.

No, I take that back. He didn?t care who got screwed, period. He said it didn?t matter if the whole world was against him (or words to that effect).

Even a good architect should know you don't try to shake a building to knock "only" the top floor down without risking the whole thing collapsing....

Would you want someone to start doing that sort of crap with YOUR club's sites? Really and truly? Trying to scare them and make them uncomfortable with rocketry as a whole since the owners (and neighbors) didn't have that much of a grasp of the difference? And if your club lost their site due to similar fear-mongering by a "I am right, everybody else is wrong, to hell with the consequences since it?s not even going to affect me anyway" zealot on a vendetta mission, whoever did that would not be at fault, right?

You honestly would not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable if someone tried doing that with the sites of all the clubs you flew with? You think the other people in your clubs would feel comfortable if someone tried such a campaign?

Cato, and Irvine too - my what a duo you have hitched your wagon to.

- George Gassaway

Reply to
GCGassaway

It's also what Tripoli leaders, including Chuck Rogers did at the Lucerne launches to bring the unffiliated 3000 attendee launches to under 50 users within a year. So Cato is not alone and in fact since Rogers did it in 1992-93 suspect Cato followed after the example was long set by Rogers.

So Rogers screwed FAR more people than Cato too.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is also a crime.

Reply to
GCGassaway

I already stated that I did not agree with JC acting unilaterally, that other clubs should haev been represented, and in fact that a meeting in preparation for that which was held with the siteowner should have been held so that a consensus about resolution could be presented.

- iz

GCGassaway wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Stealing is a crime. I was NOT charged with nor convicted of a crime because I had WRITTEN PERMISSION IN MY POSESSION.

The jury later awarded me ALL assets of that partnership. It was my property 7 ways from sunday so you just committed libel.

He said when he would be there, that's when we arrived, he arrived late. We had already loaded the truck as agreed. Several of the other partners, NOT just me.

Libel again.

Libel again. After he unilaterally punched me **I** called the police. I waited for their arrival.

Both Frank and I have "new suspects". I had a shockingly hard aliby.

Just write me a check for $20k and save us all the trouble of my forcing it out of you.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine