LEUP Experience with Local Fire Marshal

Thought I'd share a surprisingly pleasant experience I just had while pulling together the necessary information for my LEUP application. After contacting the local fire marshal in my town, I learned that the township code disallows the storage of explosives and blasting caps within the township. Unfortunately, the code makes no distinction between low vs. high explosives. And since the code does not specifically exempt or make reference to rocket motors, it appeared I'd hit a dead end. Thinking I was dead in the water with respect to a LEUP with storage, I proceeded to press the issue with an eye towards educating my local officials (fire marshal and township manager) on what I was planning on storing. I gave them background on the lawsuit, legislation, our club activities (METRA), etc. It's taken about 6 weeks of correspondence back and forth. Long story short, the township is now in the process of amending the code to allow storage up to

10 lbs. without a permit and over 10 lbs. with a permit. Although the over 10 lb. permit requirement isn't ideal, it sure beats the alternative. With the state and local regs. now taken care of and my storage figured out, I'm now ready to submit my application (fingerprint card should be in my mail shortly).

As you all know, the HPR climate is far from good these days but, with some persistance and patience, one can at least keep flying unimpeded if one has the means and the will to do so (I say this, of course, hoping there's no snags with my application.....).

Reply to
Bill Wehner

Huh?

ATF exempt

CPSC not applicable

FAA either exempt up to 113g or a FREE waiver to unlimited mass.

DOT is your vendor's problem.

What "far fromgood"?

The only bad news in the entire HPR industry is NAR and TRA and they are charged with making it good and severely failing.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It seems far easier to work with city/township governments than state/federal...

Reply to
tai fu