NAR Prez on Wall Street Journal Story

You're kidding, right? The Union of Concerned Scientists is a far left wing political action group, not a scientific organization.

Reply to
DaveL

From the UCS website:

UCS is an independent nonprofit alliance of more than 100,000 concerned citizens and scientists. We augment rigorous scientific analysis with innovative thinking and committed citizen advocacy to build a cleaner, healthier environment and a safer world.

UCS's programs are the means by which we accomplish this. They are the pressure points translating vision into action. Through them, we connect the best scientific insights with the knowledge and support of an astute citizenry and apply them to the machinery of government at all levels?with results that have set a standard for effective advocacy for decades.

UCS was founded in 1969 by faculty members and students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who were concerned about the misuse of science and technology in society. Their statement called for the redirection of scientific research to pressing environmental and social problems.

From that beginning, UCS has become a powerful voice for change. Our core groups of scientists and engineers collaborate with colleagues across the country to conduct technical studies on renewable energy options, the impacts of global warming, the risks of genetically engineered crops, and other related topics. We share the results of our research with policymakers, the news media, and the public.

Our experts work together with citizens across the country to disseminate our findings and alter policies in local communities as well as on the national level.

Our advocates are highly respected in Washington, D.C., as well as in state capitals, and are frequently called to testify before government committees.

The UCS Online Action Network gives citizen the means to keep informed on our issues and to help shape policy by expressing their view to government and corporate decisionmakers.

Through our Sound Science Initiative, thousands of scientists provide the facts on environmental science to government and the media.

Knowing the enormity of the challenge, we actively work in coalition with other environmental groups that share our goals. = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

"A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets, but high above the quiet streets on the twelfth floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye."

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

Just to balance out the discussion...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

For evenmore balance:

Hardly an unbiased source if information. Look behind the curtain and see who's behind the scenes at acticistcash....

Anonymous

Well, every proton needs an electron...

I guess it depends on which side of the fence you're on.

I'll have to look for some "neutral" sources...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Translation: "The Union of Concerned Scientists is a far left wing political action group, not a scientific organization -- but we sure can make ourselves sound good with the right spin."

Reply to
RayDunakin

Wait a minute - since when does "advocacy to build a cleaner, healthier environment" constitute a "far left wing" position?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Anyone can call themselves an "advocacy for a cleaner, healthier environment" or some other such self-aggrandizing phrase. That's just marketing BS.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Just as anyone can describe an organization as a "far left wing" group: What, specifically, is it about their positions that merits such a description, in your view?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

My apologies. But I am unclear what this has to do with model rocketry??

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Who says you can't be a scientist _and_ a left-winger? ("Loony left" is redundent.)

Reply to
RayDunakin