(OT) I HATE spiders...

Okay, last night I was in the bathroom and this huge spider showed up. I dont mean trantulla sized but it must have had at least a 2 inch footprint. I got this deathly fear of spiders and even though I covered the entryways to that bathroom with RAID im still too afraid to get close to that bathroom. It sucks when you cant take a shower or brush your teeth cause of fear of spiders.. After reading about brown recluse and black widows and watching "Arachnophobia" I really have a great fear for them, especially the larger ones! how do I deal with them, you know make them go away?

And being in Taiwan doesnt help since you figure in a tropical island, hot and humid most the time, GIANT insects are everywhere! I mean cockroaches arent that bad, least they have no venomous bites, just annoying as hell. Dragonflys arent even an issue, flies are the size of a pinto bean around here, cockroaches are like the size of 2 quarters lined side to side, SPIDERS!!! and I thought those big ones are limited to aquariums! or maybe get bitten by one and turn into spiderman?

Reply to
tai fu

Buddy of mine was unloading bicycles out of a shipping container when they spotted the spider. He said it was 6"-12" with legs. He finally got the courage up to kill it and he just mushed it with his boot. He said it felt like stepping on a rat or something. Bicycles were made in Taiwan,....

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

more reason to have firearms... defend oneself against giant spiders!

Reply to
tai fu

According to the US Justice Department, you can use a High Power Rocket to kill that spider from a range of five miles.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Yep...even if the spider has full body high tech armor.

Reply to
Tim

LOL!!

Reply to
RayDunakin

some chemical made from flowers called "per-reth-e-ans"

more commonly found in Hornet Spray. read lable, use if contains above.

spray on wood or spider, either way they will die if they touch it.

I spray my garage, they go away.

Reply to
Art Upton

  1. What was the spider protecting you from?
  2. Raid has to hit the spiders directly to kill them. If you hosed the bathroom...you might not want to touch any surfaces in the bathroom with your skin.

Zooty

RIP Mike the Spider, who died on a warm day in early November when the insectivorous birds were having a field day. Thanks, Mike, for all the insects you killed. I hope one of your kids will take up residence on the window next spring.

Hey, at least it was quick and you didn't freeze to death....

Reply to
zoot

or if you prefer biological controls, import some 18" spider wasps. They'll lay their eggs inside the 12" spiders bodies and their larvae will eat them alive from the inside out

of source what you will do with the swarms of 18" spider wasps will be another problem

perhaps some 24" frogs ...

- iz

Art Upt>

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Tai I've found that a 12 gauge, 3 inch Magnum, loaded with number 5 shot works well. This load still may be a little light for the biggest spiders, however (I use it on the horse flies, we have around here). Better try double "O" buck with a modified choke. Make sure your aim is good. They tend to get nasty if you only wound them:-). At least your's don't fly. There's a launch in Maryland where the spiders leap into the air and fly down wind at you. You can see them coming from 100 feet away. I was told that these up to half dollar sized insects were only "babbies!" Got the shotgun and started shooting skeet for the next trip down. I'm thinking of a bazooka for the adults:-).

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Despite Taiwan claiming to be democratic trusting their citizens with firearms is way too revolutionary for them.

Reply to
tai fu

If their citizens would go around blasting innocent, helpful spiders with shotguns, then maybe there's a good reason they don't permit firearm ownership.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Just be glad you're not in Australia - you do _not_ want to encounter a Funnel-Web Spider.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

what does a funnel web spider do to you? is it one of those things that kills you in 10 seconds?

Reply to
tai fu

You need to watch more Animal Planet!

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Almost, they are incredibly deadly! They sneak up on you in your sleep, make a web funnel around your neck, jump off the bed toward the floor and when the web becomes taught, it snatches you to the ceiling, breaking your neck and killing YOU instantly!!! That's where your friends find you in the morning, above a wet spot on the bed and then THEY die of hysterical laughter.

Watch out for them and beware! They ONLY live on tropical islands.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Tai, I've been bitten by both the Brown Recluse and the Black Widow as well as a host of lesser guys in the tarantula family. So far, I'm still kick'n. The Black Widow made me sick, nauseous and achy all over. The Recluse created a very slow healing sore that went septic twice. As for the tarantulas, nothing more than a prick-like feeling and a red bump.

Reply to
Reece Talley

You left off "and Jeff Corwin Wanabee"

;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

God only knows what your weapon of choice would be if you were to go black bear hunting. Nukes? ;-) Personally, when my youngest daughter yells for me to kill a spider, I grab a tissue and head for her room. I sneak up on the spider, grab it with the tissue and then pretend that it's fighting back by jerking my arm back and forth. She's almost 17 and it still startles her everytime that I do it. I must point out that she IS a blonde cheerleader, however. ;-) (Of course, she's also #1 in her junior class rankings)

Mark Simpson

Mark and Tai,

The "weapon" of choice for spiders and wasps is Krylon Crystal Clear. Seals them in an nice plastic coating and keeps them well preserved for display. On wasps it will knock them right out of the air, wings stuck together, they just buzz on the ground for a minute.

Note, don't pick them up for a couple of hours, insects simple nervous systems take quite a while to die and can still reflexively bite and sting long after you think they are dead.

BTW Mark,

We have some bumper stickers here in Colorado advocating an open season on bears, knife only. I figure it's a Darwin winner for both species, us and the bears. Elimination of the slow and stupid.

Bob Ellis

Reply to
Bob n Robin