OT: The Geek Test

Can you imagine if Calvin met Mr. Spock!? It would be Hamster Huey and the chewy kablooie all over again!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie. Did they ever find his head?

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Yes! I loved the look on their faces! Is Calvin great or what?

Randy

Reply to
Randy

You keep BNC terminators in your underwear drawer? That's not being a geek, that's downright strange!

Reply to
The Other James

Wonder what Sigmund would say about that? ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Does sound weird...at least I know where the stupid things are when I need them...!!!

Reply to
Hippiestew

That is a great book. I first read it nearly many years ago when I was managing a large software project. Every night I'd read a chapter or two before going to bed, and then lie awake thinking about all the ways I could find analogies between what they went through to pull off Apollo and what any major development project endures.

I've said it many times that that book should be mandatory reading for all Project Managers.

...Rick

Reply to
Rick Dunseith

Actually, I did read it many years ago, nothing "nearly" about it...

Reply to
Rick Dunseith

IIRC, "Lady Arwen" was an early and rather dramatic personality on usenet. Perhaps geeky movie producers/screenwriters/etc were influenced by other geeky passtimes..

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

That was sort of the point of my complaint about being skewed to the younger generation. Sure, I score 40-some percent geek, but there were a lot of things on there that I essentially missed because I was above the target age when they were introduced. Sure, there are 40-something geeks that play magic, but it's hardly the banner of geekdom for that age group. Sorta like having points for each mainframe or minicomputer you ever worked on; the younger generation doesn't have the same chances in THAT catagory.

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

Lots of nixie tubes for sale on eBay...

tempting...

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

I loved the Circuit Cellar articles. BYTE was a really good magazine in it's early days.

If you throw the right kinds of parties, you can get 'interesting' reactions by leaving a few very old (>10 years, >20 years) computer or electronics magazines lying around as "coffee table books."

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

I've lost count. It's got to be over 3 dozen. Probably WAY over...

Bob Kaplow

I don't recall there ever being a PDP-11/08...

Other than the Purple and Dark Pink rack, the other trinket I never scored was the never released PDP-11/74 front panel. I did have an account on one that I used occasionally. other than Len and Jim, I wonder who else even knows what the 11/74 was?

Bob Kaplow

When I ran an environmental test lab we used a Tesla Coil to find leaks in the space chamber. The spark would always seek out the voids in the o-ring seal. A little Apiezon grease and we were good to go.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist